The Student Room Group

AS Level English Literature

Both my class and I have been having problems with our Lit teachers since the beginning of this year as they would rather that we enjoy the subject than get good grades. Any general advice for writing essays?
It depends on what your topic is make sure there’s a clear beginning and paragraph that outlines what you’re gonna talk about and addresses common themes if it’s a theme question or if it’s a character question, talk about the character and more generic then the bulk of your essay make sure that you address the key points by making your point then putting evidence such as a quote and then explaining what that means. Make sure that you put a conclusion that summarises the key points and key themes through your essay. Hope this helps any questions feel free to ask and good luck 😊
Reply 2
Original post by Gabriel123#
Both my class and I have been having problems with our Lit teachers since the beginning of this year as they would rather that we enjoy the subject than get good grades. Any general advice for writing essays?

Look at how exemplars for your exam board structure their essays and do the same
Original post by ebyrne2036
It depends on what your topic is make sure there’s a clear beginning and paragraph that outlines what you’re gonna talk about and addresses common themes if it’s a theme question or if it’s a character question, talk about the character and more generic then the bulk of your essay make sure that you address the key points by making your point then putting evidence such as a quote and then explaining what that means. Make sure that you put a conclusion that summarises the key points and key themes through your essay. Hope this helps any questions feel free to ask and good luck 😊

I also think that maybe looking at the spec and AO marking codes will help your structure because you can get a better understand of what exactly examiners are looking for ☺️

Quick Reply

Latest