The Student Room Group

Travel doesn't really appeal to me

I've never wanted to travel abroad. Is this strange ? I've never really been close enough to anybody (either friends or romantically) to travel with. The idea of travelling alone doesn't really appeal to me. I'd much rather spend my money on going to concerts and festivals. Whether it's small local gigs or bigger festivals. That's my bread and butter and what gets me excited. Maybe I could combine the two, and travel abroad for some of my favourite bands. The idea of going to festivals abroad sounds appealing, but again I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be going abroad on my own. Mostly because of language barriers.
Travelling is a personal thing. Do what you enjoy, and not what society expects of you.
Reply 2
I've usually travelled solo as I'm my own boss and can follow my own itinerary without being delayed or diverted by friends (as much as I love them, but they do slow me down on trips).

I had 4 days in Barcelona, primarily to see Bruce Springsteen at the Nou Camp Stadium, and the rest of my time sightseeing. Couldn't speak Spanish apart from please and thank you. It was fabulous! Give it a go.
Reply 3
Original post by Surnia
I've usually travelled solo as I'm my own boss and can follow my own itinerary without being delayed or diverted by friends (as much as I love them, but they do slow me down on trips).

I had 4 days in Barcelona, primarily to see Bruce Springsteen at the Nou Camp Stadium, and the rest of my time sightseeing. Couldn't speak Spanish apart from please and thank you. It was fabulous! Give it a go.

Hi

Thanks for that. That actually does sound appealing. How easy did you find being able to navigate Spain without speaking the language ? I suppose if you're in a touristy bit and/or a city as big as Barcelona, it may be easier than say an isolated/rural village in Andalusia. I actually speak a bit of Spanish (A level) so I could probably survive for a few days haha.

Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by oglez92
Hi

Thanks for that. That actually does sound appealing. How easy did you find being able to navigate Spain without speaking the language ? I suppose if you're in a touristy bit and/or a city as big as Barcelona, it may be easier than say an isolated/rural village in Andalusia. I actually speak a bit of Spanish (A level) so I could probably survive for a few days haha.

Thanks

Plenty of people spoke English! I'd always wanted to go to Barca, but literally arranged this when I saw the concert advertised and travelled 7 days later, so no time to learn anything much! I think at least please, thank you, yes and no go down as making the effort and staff in places were helpful.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by oglez92
I've never wanted to travel abroad. Is this strange ? I've never really been close enough to anybody (either friends or romantically) to travel with. The idea of travelling alone doesn't really appeal to me. I'd much rather spend my money on going to concerts and festivals. Whether it's small local gigs or bigger festivals. That's my bread and butter and what gets me excited. Maybe I could combine the two, and travel abroad for some of my favourite bands. The idea of going to festivals abroad sounds appealing, but again I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be going abroad on my own. Mostly because of language barriers.

You have your points and your priorities, that is okay. Language barriers is a thing I can understand: I prefer to travel to English-speaking countries and cities - and German!
Reply 6
A lot of people encourage travel as it means so much to them, freedom, food, excitement. reading this, I thought you actually sound like my brother. He never wanted to travel away from home. I always assumed it was because we were kind of poor and flights, hotels, food, etc are expensive, but my Dad travelled all over the world when he was out of university, he really wanted my brother to see the world and so actually paid for my brother to travel (how lucky). My brother went around Europe. Sent home pictures of old buildings (his words), came home and said he is never leaving home again.
Reply 7
I used to think that too until I actually went abroad a few months ago. I traveled part solo and part with friends to 2 non-english speaking countries, both were great even though I can only hold small talk in the one language and understand none of the other. Experiencing the culture and people is still a great thing even if you don't fully understand all the complexities. It really did change my perception on a lot of things and I made a lot of good friends ( one of which I'm now going to Mexico with in a few months lol ). I think everyone who can should go abroad just once, might not be your cup of tea but there's lots to learn from other cultures.
@oglez92

You said that you like to go to concerts and festivals. Is that not a reason for you to travel abroad? there are concerts and festivals in another countries too.

Quick Reply

Latest