The Student Room Group

Help! Why am I feeling this way?

Hi guys,

I hope you are well and I appreciate you for reading this.
I will try to keep it short and sweet.

Two days before my trip to Thailand and Singapore, a guy I was dating ended things abruptly.

It might have been because I questioned why he keeps bringing up other women on our dates that he expected me to pay for even though he asked me out. Worst of all is - he took me to Wagamama twice and expected me to pay or split the bill...or because he got annoyed every time I asked him a question to get to know him.

For example: I asked him when his birthday was and his response was cold and sarcastic. "Want to know my Star-sign or something" and "Are you gonna buy me something?"

Anyway, I hopped on my plane with a heavy heart as this is another failed dating stage in 6 months that I have weighing on me.

I land in Thailand and all the pain went away.

I come back from Singapore - back to London, home.

My sister tells me that my mother is angry with me because I "wasted" money going abroad instead of paying her bills.

So I confront my mother.

If she needed help she could just ask me directly. Why does she have to always put me down behind my back to my sister?

Whilst I was away, I sent my mother pictures and she never responded. She just was not happy for me going away but I paid for her trip to Africa this spring.

I don't understand. I have a Masters Degree, I work for the government etc.,

She is never satisfied with anything I do. She's angry that I travelled solo and said I cannot do this again unless with a husband or friends as men look down on women who solo travel.

I am supposed to be on cloud 9 but I feel so low.
Your mum is childish, toxic and controlling. If I were you I would move out and get therapy because your mother clearly affected your self-esteem that you gave that loser too many chances when he was horrible to you. Well done for your Masters, job and for going on that solo trip. Your mums views are rubbish. Keep living your best life an trust yourself.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Your mum is childish, toxic and controlling. If I were you I would move out and get therapy because your mother clearly affected your self-esteem that you gave that loser too many chances when he was horrible to you. Well done for your Masters, job and for going on that solo trip. Your mums views are rubbish. Keep living your best life an trust yourself.

Thank you so much for your response.

My mother has been giving me a hard time. She is not happy with her life and she is not happy for me either. I sent her pictures of my trip and asked her why she didn't respond and she said "you sent me nonsense, houses, plants".. well, no I sent Temples, waterfalls etc.,

She's just always putting me down, unnecessarily.

I am planning on moving out - But I want a property of my own so getting a deposit ready.

as for that guy. He would rant about things not working out with other women due to their poor hygiene or not sleeping with him after a year. He also mentioned that his parents left him and his siblings emotionally effed up.

I gave him chances cos I just didn't want another failed dating stage under my belt.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending