The Student Room Group

Student finance for medicine when dropped out after 2 years of study

Hello, I am currently in a situation where I am in my 2nd year of study in Biology BSc however I applied for medicine for the 24/25 academic entry year and have recently got an offer to study at Plymouth. I will therefore be dropping out of uni in my second year of study, and entering medicine as an undergraduate.

Understanding that I have applied for 2 years of student finance already, I was wondering how many years of finance I am eligible for in terms of the 5 year medicine course.

I know the NHS bursary can cover the 5th year and that the calculation for student finance is number of years of course +1 - years of study = years of finance available, however I can't research if this has the same application to the medicine 5 year course. My current understanding is that I would be given 4 years of funding but for the first year I would have to pay the tuition fee myself due to 'lack of commitment to study'. I am just wondering if my assumptions are correct.

Any helpful advice/info is appreciated,

Thank you
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Rjoenshfjnsns
Hello, I am currently in a situation where I am in my 2nd year of study in Biology BSc however I applied for medicine for the 24/25 academic entry year and have recently got an offer to study at Plymouth. I will therefore be dropping out of uni in my second year of study, and entering medicine as an undergraduate.

Understanding that I have applied for 2 years of student finance already, I was wondering how many years of finance I am eligible for in terms of the 5 year medicine course.

I know the NHS bursary can cover the 5th year and that the calculation for student finance is number of years of course +1 - years of study = years of finance available, however I can't research if this has the same application to the medicine 5 year course. My current understanding is that I would be given 4 years of funding but for the first year I would have to pay the tuition fee myself due to 'lack of commitment to study'. I am just wondering if my assumptions are correct.

Any helpful advice/info is appreciated,

Thank you
Hi there,

What is the name of the course you've applied for and is this full time? Regarding your previous study, was it two years that you attended the university for? Thanks, Jason
Reply 2
Original post by SFE Jason
Hi there,

What is the name of the course you've applied for and is this full time? Regarding your previous study, was it two years that you attended the university for? Thanks, Jason
Hi,
the cause is Medicine a100 full time.

In terms of my previous study I am currently in my secondary year of full time study at the university and planning to drop out soon so that I can study medicine in September.

Thanks
Hi,
the cause is Medicine a100 full time.

In terms of my previous study I am currently in my secondary year of full time study at the university and planning to drop out soon so that I can study medicine in September.

Thanks
Hi there,

Thanks yes - in this case the funding will work pretty much as you've said: you'll be entitled to the Tuition Fee and Maintenance Loans in all years, except Year 1. Due to your previous study you won't be entitled to a Tuition Fee Loan from us in that year.

However, we can award you this if you had Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) for not completing your previous course. Please see here for more details: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/going-back-to-uni-or-repeating-a-year

You can upload any evidence to your account and our assessors will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 4
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,

Thanks yes - in this case the funding will work pretty much as you've said: you'll be entitled to the Tuition Fee and Maintenance Loans in all years, except Year 1. Due to your previous study you won't be entitled to a Tuition Fee Loan from us in that year.

However, we can award you this if you had Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) for not completing your previous course. Please see here for more details: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/going-back-to-uni-or-repeating-a-year

You can upload any evidence to your account and our assessors will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks, Graeme
Thank you very much for the response, it has cleared it up a lot for me, thanks
Thank you very much for the response, it has cleared it up a lot for me, thanks
You're welcome - if you have any further questions feel free to ask.

Thanks, Graeme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending