The Student Room Group

Mature Drop-Out Wanting to get into Medicine

Hello, first of all apologies if similar questions have already been asked - I did do a search and couldn't find anything that fits my query specifically enough.

I am an ex-humanities student - I studied Journalism in 2009 - 2012 and dropped out in my final year due to depression. I tried to repeat my final year but dropped out again and entered the workforce.

I fell into IT work and that has been my career until now - I am a 33 year old software developer. I like what I do, but the thought of doing it for the rest of my working life makes me feel rather grey.

My father was a doctor, and so were his parents. My father left when I was very young and gave me little guidance other than "don't become a doctor". I internalised that for a long time.

For the past few years, I have been questioning that advice and thinking more and more about what it would be like to work as a doctor. In fact, I have become moderately obsessed with it. I watch TV shows, have read numerous books written by doctors, follow YouTube channels. I also have a few doctor friends and love picking their brains. I am thinking about arranging some work experience for myself.

The idea of going to medical school absolutely thrills me. But... HOW do I do it? I don't have science A-Levels, or a degree. I have been researching various options, and it seems like the most promising avenue would be to first get my bachelors, and then to look into graduate medicine courses, since more funding is available if you have received student loans before. I don't have a enough savings to cover the cost of univerisity myself at the moment.

Some graduate medicine courses also specificy that they want science A-Levels as well. This is something I would be very happy to do, but I also have the option of going straight into a part-time STEM degree via the Open Univeristy without A-Levels.

This is a very long-term plan, and I'm interested to see if anyone has input on how best to go about this. Are there any alternative routes? Is there a way I can go into medicine without first obtatining a bachelors and/or A-Levels? Is it best that I take the long route and essentially restart my education?

Thank you for any and all help received.
Reply 1
Original post by natashasunita
Hello, first of all apologies if similar questions have already been asked - I did do a search and couldn't find anything that fits my query specifically enough.

I am an ex-humanities student - I studied Journalism in 2009 - 2012 and dropped out in my final year due to depression. I tried to repeat my final year but dropped out again and entered the workforce.

I fell into IT work and that has been my career until now - I am a 33 year old software developer. I like what I do, but the thought of doing it for the rest of my working life makes me feel rather grey.

My father was a doctor, and so were his parents. My father left when I was very young and gave me little guidance other than "don't become a doctor". I internalised that for a long time.

For the past few years, I have been questioning that advice and thinking more and more about what it would be like to work as a doctor. In fact, I have become moderately obsessed with it. I watch TV shows, have read numerous books written by doctors, follow YouTube channels. I also have a few doctor friends and love picking their brains. I am thinking about arranging some work experience for myself.

The idea of going to medical school absolutely thrills me. But... HOW do I do it? I don't have science A-Levels, or a degree. I have been researching various options, and it seems like the most promising avenue would be to first get my bachelors, and then to look into graduate medicine courses, since more funding is available if you have received student loans before. I don't have a enough savings to cover the cost of univerisity myself at the moment.

Some graduate medicine courses also specificy that they want science A-Levels as well. This is something I would be very happy to do, but I also have the option of going straight into a part-time STEM degree via the Open Univeristy without A-Levels.

This is a very long-term plan, and I'm interested to see if anyone has input on how best to go about this. Are there any alternative routes? Is there a way I can go into medicine without first obtatining a bachelors and/or A-Levels? Is it best that I take the long route and essentially restart my education?

Thank you for any and all help received.

Research Access to Medicine courses, they are designed for people like you
Reply 2
The issue I see with this is that it is a route into undergrad medicine, but I don't think I can get funding since I have studied before (but did not complete my degree). I am in a pickle.
Reply 3
The issue I see with this is that it is a route into undergrad medicine, but I don't think I can get funding since I have studied before (but did not complete my degree). I am in a pickle.

But you won't get funding for any second degree if you have used your funding "allowance".

SFE usually grant you the length of the course you are on/applying for plus 1 year (a "grace year" for people who start the wrong course or have to repeat a year). They will also allow extra years with extenuating circumstances, eg your depression, but I think you must apply for that at the time. If they consider you "completed" your degree finance, yes, they will not provide finance for A100 or any second standard degree, but if it was early in the year that you dropped out and you were granted an extra year's payment, you may just have 1 year's fees to find, and will still get a maintenance loan. It is complex, so you may need to contact them and ask what you would be entitled to.

You would be expected to pay up to 4 years of an A100 course (the NHS pays the 5th year), so currently £37,000 and I guess you need to weigh this up against spending 3 years obtaining another degree for which you also won't get funding?
Reply 4
Original post by GANFYD
But you won't get funding for any second degree if you have used your funding "allowance".

SFE usually grant you the length of the course you are on/applying for plus 1 year (a "grace year" for people who start the wrong course or have to repeat a year). They will also allow extra years with extenuating circumstances, eg your depression, but I think you must apply for that at the time. If they consider you "completed" your degree finance, yes, they will not provide finance for A100 or any second standard degree, but if it was early in the year that you dropped out and you were granted an extra year's payment, you may just have 1 year's fees to find, and will still get a maintenance loan. It is complex, so you may need to contact them and ask what you would be entitled to.

You woulTd be expected to pay up to 4 years of an A100 course (the NHS pays the 5th year), so currently £37,000 and I guess you need to weigh this up against spending 3 years obtaining another degree for which you also won't get funding?

This thread would suggest it's possible to get funding for a second degree if you study an NHS funded degree, or a part-time STEM degree, no?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5569240

Struggling to find any official information from Student Finance regarding the latter. I will try to contact student finance to understand my options (if I even have any).
Reply 5
This thread would suggest it's possible to get funding for a second degree if you study an NHS funded degree, or a part-time STEM degree, no?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5569240

Struggling to find any official information from Student Finance regarding the latter. I will try to contact student finance to understand my options (if I even have any).

As I said, it is complicated and you need to discuss your circumstances with them
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending