The Student Room Group

I’ve received tips from my old job - is it illegal if i keep taking it?

I left my job like mid december last year and ive looked at my emails and found a payslip from them n ive been given tips. There arent any hours down obviously because i havent clocked in. The tax code is different n all

Is it illegal if i just let them keep sending me money? Will i have to pay it back?
Original post by ox2112
I left my job like mid december last year and ive looked at my emails and found a payslip from them n ive been given tips. There arent any hours down obviously because i havent clocked in. The tax code is different n all

Is it illegal if i just let them keep sending me money? Will i have to pay it back?

You are not committing an offence if someone else transfers money into your bank account. However, you would be committing an offence if you didn't return it when asked.

So by all means hang onto the money but don't spend it as it needs to be available if they ask for it back.

Having said that, this is tip money. So it's likely not the companies money anyway - it really belongs to the people you once worked with. So do the decent thing and the company know, so they can redistribute it properly. You might that they the money is back-dated tips that they've just realised you were owed. You can then keep it without having a guilty conscience. :smile:
Original post by ox2112

As has been said, its not an offence. They are paying you the money after all. But just be prepared that there is a chance they may want it back.
As it is tip money, id let the company know, just to clarify if its genuine or a mistake. It may be genuine, and may be backdated tip money. But it may not be and may be a mistake on their part. Either way id let them know.
Original post by ox2112

When my friends quit their jobs, they kept being paid for months after and never got asked for the money back so you’re probably ok.
(They both worked at Greggs if that makes a difference)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending