The Student Room Group

NHS trust says transgender milk just as good for babies as normal milk

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Talkative Toad
I was going to ask this (not that this makes companies exempt or anything but this is what I wanted to point out).

The Act applies because TSR is a provider of a service to the public. It matters not that the service is not paid for. See section 29 of the Act.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Admit-One
In the grand scheme of things I couldn't care less.

When you consider the number of parents that might opt to do this it's very much a storm in a teacup "world gone mad" emotive headline. In reality it might be handful of people in the UK and as we've established there's no harm, so meh, crack on.

Absence of harm to the child has not been established by a reliable body of evidence.
Original post by Stiffy Byng
Absence of harm to the child has not been established by a reliable body of evidence.

This NHS trust seems to believe otherwise unless I’m wrong here.

We don’t legislate against a great many things where there is no reliable body of evidence one way or another.

Given that his might possibly relate to a dozen cases in the entirety of the UK I can’t really see it as a priority.
Let's make sure this stays on topic please if the discussion is kept to the topic in the OP there should be no need for any participant to plead the protection of the Equality Act.
Original post by Saracen's Fez
Let's make sure this stays on topic please if the discussion is kept to the topic in the OP there should be no need for any participant to plead the protection of the Equality Act.

The topic by its nature enters Forstater territory, because the proposition that men can safely breastfeed a child is based on ideology, not science and those who prefer science to ideology must be free to say so.
(edited 2 months ago)
This NHS trust seems to believe otherwise unless I’m wrong here.

One NHS trust taking an outlier position does not indicate a body of evidence.
The topic by its nature enters Forstater territory, because the proposition that men can safely breastfeed a child is based on ideology, not science and those who prefer science to ideology must be free to say so.

Let's have a discussion on the quality of the science then :smile:
One NHS trust taking an outlier position does not indicate a body of evidence.

I don’t have that much faith in the NHS as a whole (personal reasons and experiences) but I disagree with reply 41 considering despite my lack of faith in the NHS.

It’s an NHS trust saying this information at least, not some random source.
Let's have a discussion on the quality of the science then :smile:

That's a short discussion. There is no reliable evidence base establishing that medically induced lactation in men provides adequate nutrition for a child and does not have unacceptable side effects on the child.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 50
I disagree with the idea that assigned sex at birth=gender (despite it being true for the majority of the population) as transgender men and women exist.

I also never argued against the idea that sex is biological (other than in cases of being intersex or the fact that you can now apparently change your legal sex), I agree with that, it’s gender where I wouldn’t say that it’s biological.
Ah my reply to your post was more in keeping using it as a starting point to crystallize some thoughts really about how science is simply a construct to view the natural world. Even long accepted "truths" like biological sex is binary is a best guess human understanding of how the whole thing works. There's very good evidence and it is very logical of course but nonetheless a human concept. Still it's a view I subscribe to based on study and understanding of human biology and I find it unsettling that there are some who are trying to rewrite a fundamental principle. Gender though is a much more fluid concept. In the context of this thread, I don't distinguish between male/female production of breast milk. The underlying biological structures are the same. In fact, one could argue that cow's milk used in infant milk production is a much more "alien" milk than milk from male breast tissue.
That's a short discussion. There is no evidence base establishing that medically induced lactation in men provides adequate nutrition for a child and does not have unacceptable side effects on the child.

Then you have made your point and do not need to participate in this discussion any longer. :smile:
Original post by AriTem
Ah my reply to your post was more in keeping using it as a starting point to crystallize some thoughts really about how science is simply a construct to view the natural world. Even long accepted "truths" like biological sex is binary is a best guess human understanding of how the whole thing works. There's very good evidence and it is very logical of course but nonetheless a human concept. Still it's a view I subscribe to based on study and understanding of human biology and I find it unsettling that there are some who are trying to rewrite a fundamental principle. Gender though is a much more fluid concept. In the context of this thread, I don't distinguish between male/female production of breast milk. The underlying biological structures are the same. In fact, one could argue that cow's milk used in infant milk production is a much more "alien" milk than milk from male breast tissue.

Fair points, PRSOM.
(edited 2 months ago)
Then you have made your point and do not need to participate in this discussion any longer. :smile:

This is a discussion forum, I remind you of the legal risk which TSR undertakes if it censors legally protected views.
This is a discussion forum, I remind you of the legal risk which TSR undertakes if it censors legally protected views.

And I refer you (and all other users) to the TSR Community Guidelines.
Reply 55
That's a short discussion. There is no evidence base establishing that medically induced lactation in men provides adequate nutrition for a child and does not have unacceptable side effects on the child.
With all due respect there is some evidence.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/37138506/

Feel free to dig the paper up but the abstract states it is nutritionally adequate

There isn't a strong evidence base yet, but there is emerging evidence, e.g.:

Lactation Induction in a Transgender Woman: Macronutrient Analysis and Patient Perspectives
"These findings provide reassurance about the adequacy of nutrition from human milk produced by non-gestational transgender female and nonbinary parents on estrogen-based, gender-affirming hormone therapy"

Case Report: Induced Lactation in a Transgender Woman:
"The patient breastfed exclusively for 6 weeks. During that time the child's pediatrician reported that the child's growth, feeding, and bowel habits were developmentally appropriate."
One child put at risk of poor nutrition or other harm is one too many. In medicine, the maxim "first, do no harm" ought to be the starting point. A child's health is more important than validation for a man who wishes that he was a woman.
But not how things work though. Eg. Vaping. Introduced it with little or no understanding of the long term effects, studied it later when there was enough data.

Given that the OP is such a fringe scenario you’d struggle to get enough data for a meaningful study.

Spend the time and money elsewhere if we care about harm.
Original post by Admit-One
But not how things work though. Eg. Vaping. Introduced it with little or no understanding of the long term effects, studied it later when there was enough data.

Given that the OP is such a fringe scenario you’d struggle to get enough data for a meaningful study.

Spend the time and money elsewhere if we care about harm.
Incidentally on vaping
https://evidence.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/EVIDoa2300229
Not good,not good at all.
Original post by Scotney
Incidentally on vaping
https://evidence.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/EVIDoa2300229
Not good,not good at all.

Oh I’m no fan of vaping. But a good example of a large dataset being used (107 studies). Good luck getting that many breast feeding trans folk together.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending