The Student Room Group

NHS trust says transgender milk just as good for babies as normal milk

Scroll to see replies

Who matters most? The adult, or the child? I vote child. Absent a reliable evidence base, medical innovations that impact on children should, I suggest, be treated with great caution.

Vaping is a recreational habit which started without regulation or, initially, much or any medical analysis, because commercial opportunities arose as people sought alternates to smoking. It's not comparable to medical interventions which may impact child health.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 61
Original post by black tea
The male body is programmed to lactate, in a sense - all embryos start off female initially, and all humans therefore have the tissue to be able to produce milk. All you need to do to stimulate that tissue to produce milk is increase levels of prolactin. The composition of the milk is not going to be that different if you are exernally giving the hormones vs the body naturally producing it. So I struggle to see the issue in terms of the baby receiving the milk (the long-term effects of messing up the hormones of the transgender person, on the other hand… who knows?).

Domperidone, which is the drug mentioned in the link, actually is something you can buy over the counter for travel sickness. According to the NHS website - "there is not much information about how much domperidone passes into breast milk, but it's only a tiny amount. It's been used during breastfeeding for many years without babies having side effects".

If you have an issue with babies being “force fed chemicals”, you should maybe have a look at the composition of baby formula...
Re the last paragraph, are you being intentionally obtuse?
Reply 62
Original post by Scotney
Incidentally on vaping
https://evidence.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/EVIDoa2300229
Not good,not good at all.
Is it really worse than smoking though? Which, originally at least, was the whole idea of it.
Reply 63
Original post by Admit-One
In the grand scheme of things I couldn't care less.

When you consider the number of parents that might opt to do this it's very much a storm in a teacup "world gone mad" emotive headline. In reality it might be handful of people in the UK and as we've established there's no harm, so meh, crack on.
No argument with the assessment of that. However, it simply being a fringe case doesn't preclude it from being discussion worthy, no?
Original post by Napp
Re the last paragraph, are you being intentionally obtuse?
no, are you?
Reply 65
Original post by black tea
no, are you?
I'll take that as a yes then.
Are you seriously, and honestly, trying to compare milk formula to a, by definition, unnatural concoction of hormones from a male?
I mean, i am literally looking at a tin of s26 gold this minute and i see not a single comparable inclusion in it. Milk, oils, minerals etc. are not the same as dumping artificial hormones into someone, least of all a new born.

I'm curious though, are you defending this practice out of an actual scientific backing (doubtful as there is none) or is this some dubious ideological thing that you feel obligated to get behind to be 'progressive'?
As i said before, no good parent makes a point of feeding their kids subquality food packed full of hormones and other chemicals if they can possibly avoid it. Your explicit support for force feeding them chemicals and drugs that they would otherwise never have does raise some interesting questions on your views of children, doesn't it.
Original post by Napp
I'll take that as a yes then.
Are you seriously, and honestly, trying to compare milk formula to a, by definition, unnatural concoction of hormones from a male?
I mean, i am literally looking at a tin of s26 gold this minute and i see not a single comparable inclusion in it. Milk, oils, minerals etc. are not the same as dumping artificial hormones into someone, least of all a new born.

I'm curious though, are you defending this practice out of an actual scientific backing (doubtful as there is none) or is this some dubious ideological thing that you feel obligated to get behind to be 'progressive'?
As i said before, no good parent makes a point of feeding their kids subquality food packed full of hormones and other chemicals if they can possibly avoid it. Your explicit support for force feeding them chemicals and drugs that they would otherwise never have does raise some interesting questions on your views of children, doesn't it.

Actually, yes, I am. The hormones to trigger milk production in a man are the same as in a woman, so why would the milk be any more an “unnatural concoction of hormones” than if it came from woman? Studies have shown that the composition of milk from men is the same as from women. Formula, on the other hand, is quite literally UPF made with chemicals.

Not an ideological thing in the slightest, nor am I explicitly supporting” anything - I don’t really care enough about the topic to have a view either way; I simply find the biology interesting. You can call my morals into question all you want, but you haven’t actually provided any scientific evidence to support your point of view - your posts are just emotion-fuelled outrage...
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 67
Original post by Napp
I’m no scientist but I really can’t see for the life of me how this could be true. Milk from a woman being, well, utterly natural. Milk that is force generated by a cocktail of drugs by definition seems somewhat less good.. after all, most every prescription drug comes with warnings about breast feeding with it so why this would be an exception?
In either case, what does everyone else thing, would you approve of your child having this (granted rather a limited set of circumstances but for debates sake)
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/health/transgender-womens-breast-milk-babies-nhs-trust-sussex-b1140073.html#:~:text=The%20hospital%20became%20the%20first,non%2Dbinary%20birthing%20people”.

They are prioritising the trans woman's feelings instead of the babies health. They state that they don't have a-lot of evidence or know a-lot about it.
Original post by Barbu
"Sex is a spectrum" - Hahahaha, good one.

Where have people of the article said that sex (as opposed to gender) is a spectrum, not that I agree with this kind of statement (I don’t) but I’m just wondering?

Edit: nevermind I saw where it got said, yeah no I don’t agree that sex or gender is a spectrum personally.
(edited 2 weeks ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending