The Student Room Group

Official Year 12 Chat 2023-24

What a year we've had!

It's official, we have finally made it out of the vomit-inducing GCSEs and will now have to dip our toes in unfamiliar waters.
So obviously it would be a whole debacle without a friend to turn to and who else is better than other poor humans who have no idea who you are but are in the same situation... well this is where TSR comes in.

Hiya TSRers THIS IS THE OFFICIAL 2023-2024 YEAR 12 CHAT THREAD

So introductions first.

reply thread with

1. name / about yourself
2. Sixth Form / College or SFC
3. A - Levels or Btecs or other and exam boards if you know them (along with your subject grade at GCSE if you did it)
4. hobbies
5. Extracurriculars for UCAS or otherwise
6. What grades you're aiming for
7. What Uni or Course (if you know)
8. Useful Revision Techniques for yourself

but most importantly don't stress because the worst is yet to come.
(edited 7 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm Ianto, I'm going to a Sixth Form college to study Biology (OCR), Computer Science(OCR), and Maths and Further Maths (Edexcel). I enjoy writing, and I am writing a novel. I've done bronze and silver DofE, and I'm currently doing gold. Currently, I'm aiming for an A in maths and biology, and a B in the others, with the goal of studying occupational therapy at Cardiff University, or Orthotics and Prosthetics at Strathclyde. I use the Pomodoro technique, and use the app Forest a lot. I'm also a fan of the app Habitica for motivation.
Original post by Hawraa.A
What a year we've had!

It's official, we have finally made it out of the vomit-inducing GCSEs and will now have to dip our toes in unfamiliar waters.
So obviously it would be a whole debacle without a friend to turn to and who else is better than other poor humans who have no idea who you are but are in the same situation... well this is where TSR comes in.

So introductions first.

reply thread with

1. name / about yourself
3. A - Levels or Btecs or other and exam boards if you know them (along with your subject grade at GCSE if you did it)
4. hobbies

1. Catalina
2. Sixth form
3. A-Levels: Maths, Further Maths, Physics & Computer Science (9s at GCSE)
4. Reading, singing, watching movies and shows, idk tbh
5. CS50p, 2 summer programmes (one online, one residential), virtual work experience; I'm looking to do more this year like books, research and stuff
6. I'm aiming for anything that will get me into uni tbh. Idk what I'm capable of since I just started sixth form but I would love to get all A*s at A-Level. Ik this is rlly hard so I'd be happy with anything that gets me into uni (probably A*A*AA). My school does AS and for AS I rllyyyy do want 4 As as it would form my predicted grades
7. Computer Science (it's so hard being a girl doing cs lol, there are literally no other girls in my class :frown:)
8. For GCSEs I didn't rlly have a proper strategy in place although it worked out as I am very happy with my grades. This year I want to have a proper method of revising. My system will be pre-reading before the lesson; taking notes during the lesson (in a on paper for Maths and Further, school notebook for Physics and computer for CS); writing revision notes after the lesson (iPad for Maths, Further Maths and Physics and typed for CS); making flashcards at the end of the week. Since my subjects are practical, I will be doing a lot of questions throughout this process
What a year we've had!

So introductions first.

reply thread with

1. name / about yourself
4. hobbies

1. Ana
2. Sixth Form
3. Biology, Chemistry, Maths (997 at GCSE)
4. Anime, reading, sometimes playing games
5. EPQ if it counts? I'll also be running a medical club in school. I also read books related to medicine along with work experience in a Pharmacy and some virtual work experience.
6. I'm aiming for A*A*A* but A*A A or A*A*A seems more realistic? That's if I try my best throughout the whole two years.
7. Ultimate aim is Cambridge but if that fails then UCL or Kings also seem like amazing options. I'll also be applying for Medicine if you couldn't already tell.
8. Icl for GCSE I mainly used the PMT notes and just memorised those. This year I'll acc revise throughout the whole year. I'll also pre-read before lessons.

Hoping that we all get along here! :smile:
(edited 7 months ago)
1. Scarlett
2. Sixth Form
3. Maths (Edexcel, grade 9 at GCSE), Further Maths (same as maths), Computer Science (OCR, grade 9 at GCSE), Economics (Edexcel I think, not offered as a GCSE at my school)
4. I quite like learning languages. I was learning Norwegian earlier this year, I learned some Spanish last year and now I'm trying to learn some Hindi to be able to communicate with the Indian relatives when I go to India at Christmas :smile: Also reading, watching Netflix (currently watching Shameless and Killing Eve!), spending time with my pet dog and I like some sports (yoga, pilates, zumba, running).
5. I've got some work experience and have taken some programming courses online.
6. Hopefully all A*s but we'll see how it goes!
7. Currently I'm thinking about Economics at either Cambridge, LSE, Imperial (economics, finance and data science), UCL or Bath!
8. Flashcards and past paper questions!

I'm honestly really excited for sixth form!
Reply 5
Hi, my name is Felicity.

. Sixth form
. A Levels: Bio, chem, maths, further maths (998 at gcse)
. Reading, sports
. Am going to do an EPQ and Dofe Gold Award. I also write for a Medic Mentor magazine in my spare time and join their medical societies.
. A*AA minimum I’m aiming for
. Medicine, biomed, biochem or compsci
. Past papers
What a year we've had!

So introductions first.

reply thread with

1. name / about yourself
4. hobbies

1. Hi, my name is Alisha Sisupalan, but you can call me AlishaDaisy.
2. I am going to a sixth form in Chadwell Heath Academy, where there will be new people and people that I am familiar with.
3. For my A-Levels, I am going to be studying French (AQA) (I got a Grade 8 in GCSE French), Maths (Edexcel) (I got a Grade 7 in GCSE Maths) and Business (Edexcel) (I got a Grade 8 in GCSE Business).
4. My hobbies are watching TV, relaxing, singing and drawing.
5. I joined the choir and sang songs for audiences and the Summer Concert in school, and participated in the running of a secondary school survival skill business in a business competition called Young Enterprise.
6. The grades I would be aiming for would be an A in Business and French, and a B in Maths.
7. My goal would be to study Business Management at the University of East London.
8. Practice exam-style questions and utilise flashcards. Also, you can use Seneca, it's a classic lifesaver for me, as it saved my GCSEs.

:smile::smile:GOOD LUCK IN YEAR 12 EVERYONE!:smile::smile:
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 7
What a year we've had!

So introductions first.

reply thread with

1. name / about yourself
4. hobbies

1. henry
2. College
3. Business (WJEC, A), Psychology (WJEC), Law (WJEC), Gov & Pol (WJEC)
4. simracing/karting
5. Some type of sport team I imagine
6. A*ABB
7. Business Management or Law at like Bristol or Bath
8. past papers
Reply 8
Hi my name is Raisa and I'm going to King Edward High School for Girls and I'm taking AQA Biology, (IDK which exam board for the others) Maths, Chemistry and Psychology alevels but I'll probably drop one at the end of yr 12 (I got 9s for bio chem and maths), my hobbies are watching tragic anime series or movies and crying to them and blasting music in my headphones 24/7 , I plan on doing an epq don't know what about yet for extra ucas points, I'm aiming for all A*s in sha allah but as that's really hard at least AAA* and I wanna go into medicine I'm not sure which uni yet.
Important revision techniques well I'm gonna try blurting out as apparently alevel bio is very content heavy so I'm gonna have to memorise a lot and I'm gonna do tons of past papers ofc and watch freesciencelessons the GOAT of science as I am taking two science alevels.
Original post by scar-the-queen
1. Scarlett
2. Sixth Form
3. Maths (Edexcel, grade 9 at GCSE), Further Maths (same as maths), Computer Science (OCR, grade 9 at GCSE), Economics (Edexcel I think, not offered as a GCSE at my school)
4. I quite like learning languages. I was learning Norwegian earlier this year, I learned some Spanish last year and now I'm trying to learn some Hindi to be able to communicate with the Indian relatives when I go to India at Christmas :smile: Also reading, watching Netflix (currently watching Shameless and Killing Eve!), spending time with my pet dog and I like some sports (yoga, pilates, zumba, running).
5. I've got some work experience and have taken some programming courses online.
6. Hopefully all A*s but we'll see how it goes!
7. Currently I'm thinking about Economics at either Cambridge, LSE, Imperial (economics, finance and data science), UCL or Bath!
8. Flashcards and past paper questions!

I'm honestly really excited for sixth form!

Wow, similar a levels to me. I literally cannot find any girls who do cs. I’m the only girl in my class
Original post by CatalinaIK
Wow, similar a levels to me. I literally cannot find any girls who do cs. I’m the only girl in my class

Yep I was going to do your combination but I'm not actually entirely sure whether I want to do Computer Science or Economics at uni so I thought I'd keep my options open. I go to a girls school and there are 10 of us taking A Level cs out of 130 people in the year group :smile:
Yep I was going to do your combination but I'm not actually entirely sure whether I want to do Computer Science or Economics at uni so I thought I'd keep my options open. I go to a girls school and there are 10 of us taking A Level cs out of 130 people in the year group :smile:

Omg that's a lot. My year group is like 170 coed and only 4 girls (including me) take cs. I'm alone cause they're in a different class
Original post by CatalinaIK
Omg that's a lot. My year group is like 170 coed and only 4 girls (including me) take cs. I'm alone cause they're in a different class

Ohh that makes sense. I thought you were the only girl in your school taking cs lol
Ohh that makes sense. I thought you were the only girl in your school taking cs lol

But not me though. I only take subjects which I did well in, considering the fact that I liked Maths and got engaged with the lesson content. Hopefully I'll carry this forward with my A-Levels (but not comp sci since my sixth form doesn't offer cs as an A-Level).
Original post by AlishaDaisy
But not me though. I only take subjects which I did well in, considering the fact that I liked Maths and got engaged with the lesson content. Hopefully I'll carry this forward with my A-Levels (but not comp sci since my sixth form doesn't offer cs as an A-Level).

Yeah, my school only started offering cs as an a level 2 years ago. I quite like maths too!
Reply 15
1. Heyyy, I’m Setaish 👋
2. Sixth Form.
3. A - Levels: Computer Science (8 in GCSE). Maths (8 in GCSE). Philosophy &Ethics (9 in RE GCSE).
4. I love reading, watching shows, playing some sports, and yeah.
5. Got a story published in a collection, did a separate Coding course, climbed Mount Snowdon. (That’s pretty much all I can think of rn).
6. To be honest, maybe AAB or smth like that.
7. I’d like to go into cybersecurity.
8. I personally find it useful to write down literally everything of a topic on 1/2 pages then keep summarising it and reading it out loud.

(PS: I’m so happy to see in the comments lots of other girls doing CS, in my A-levels class during the transition week there were only 4 girls in the whole classroom).
Just tagging in some of our Year 11 posters from last year who might want to get involved in our Official Year 12 Chat thread 2023-2024.

Get involved and say hello :smile:

NewYear12

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

[quote= www.iLoveEnglish]x
x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

[quote= BeepBoop[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace]]x
x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

[quote= Tryingmybest[excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace]]x
x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

[quote= DishPerson [excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace]]x
x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

x

What a year we've had!

So introductions first.

reply thread with

1. name / about yourself
4. hobbies

1. Rameez
2. Sixth Form
3. Biology (AQA), Chemistry (AQA), Philosophy (AQA)
4. Graphic Design
5. EPQ
6. A* AA
7. Dentistry at King's College London
8. Past papers
Original post by Evil Homer
Just tagging in some of our Year 11 posters from last year who might want to get involved in our Official Year 12 Chat thread 2023-2024.

Get involved and say hello :smile:

NewYear12

Hi there! New Year 12 here :smile:
1. Hello, I am Zara :smile:
2. Sixth Form
3. I am doing Biology (OCR A, 9), Chemistry (OCR A, 9), Psychology (AQA), German (AQA, 9)
4. Recently, I have gotten really into reading :biggrin: I like playing piano, ukulele etc but I haven't been in the right place to do that for some reason recently!
5. None yet :s-smilie:
6. I mean hopefully A/A* but we will see lol
7. Maybe Scotland because I like the system more there. Psychology? Biochemistry? I don't really know lol, but I would maybe like to get up to a PHD, I don't know lol
8. Watching videos and noting down information then doing practise questions based on my freshly revised knowledge and just kind of doing this until I don't need my notes anymore.

Quick Reply

Latest