The Student Room Group

Does cat sitting count as animal handling experience?

Hi
I'm focusing on gaining some work experience right now as I am planning to apply for veterinary medicine 2024. However, I am not sure if Cat sitting counts as animal handling work experience. I am a freelance cat sitter and I work for a professional cat-sitting company.
Usually the answer would be a no, but seeing as you work for a company this may change things. Unfortunately I'm not really sure. You'll probably be best to email admissions of the universities you're interested in and asking if they'll accept it.
Reply 2
Original post by Mara4788
Hi
I'm focusing on gaining some work experience right now as I am planning to apply for veterinary medicine 2024. However, I am not sure if Cat sitting counts as animal handling work experience. I am a freelance cat sitter and I work for a professional cat-sitting company.

I doubt it because although your placements are provided by a professional company you are in someone’s house and looking for a « few » cats at a time. On top of that you freelance which means you provide your own reference. Hours worked on your own family’s farm etc aren’t counted so I imagine that this falls into a similar category. I would try and get something like the RSPCA, dairy work , stables and a few weeks in a clinical environment. Lambing would have been good but it’s a bit late in the year for that now as all valid experience has to be completed before the October cut off date. You have the summer holidays so should be able to get a fair bit,although you will probably have to travel and couch surf etc.
Wishing you the best of luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending