The Student Room Group

placement in vet clinic

I will study A level in the coming September, I am planning to study vet medicine in the future, I know that vet clinic working experience is a must for applying vet medicine degree, however, I have already sent out a lot of emails to those clinics for a placement, until now I got none, does anyone have such an experience? how can I get a placement in vet clinic, thx a lot
Original post by Joannetsui
I will study A level in the coming September, I am planning to study vet medicine in the future, I know that vet clinic working experience is a must for applying vet medicine degree, however, I have already sent out a lot of emails to those clinics for a placement, until now I got none, does anyone have such an experience? how can I get a placement in vet clinic, thx a lot

Hey! I’m a current vet student. I was only able to get a placement on Wednesday afternoons. Phoning often gets your a more favourable outcome. Do you have any family members you can stay with to widen your perimeters for applying? Do you write cover letters and stuff about why you want to go there to increase chances
Emails are easily lost or ignored in a busy practice, a lot of them will result in no reply. Phone call so you get a solid yes or no as to whether they take placements, or better yet go in person with a little 'about me' CV-type thing. Also try look further afield if no luck - might involve couch surfing with friends and family or longer transport journeys, but think it is only for a short period of time in the grand scheme of things. Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by flamingolover
Hey! I’m a current vet student. I was only able to get a placement on Wednesday afternoons. Phoning often gets your a more favourable outcome. Do you have any family members you can stay with to widen your perimeters for applying? Do you write cover letters and stuff about why you want to go there to increase chances

Original post by RambleAmple
Emails are easily lost or ignored in a busy practice, a lot of them will result in no reply. Phone call so you get a solid yes or no as to whether they take placements, or better yet go in person with a little 'about me' CV-type thing. Also try look further afield if no luck - might involve couch surfing with friends and family or longer transport journeys, but think it is only for a short period of time in the grand scheme of things. Good luck!

Hi, Flamingolover

Thx for your reply. I will try to make phone calls to those clinics.

May I ask what uni are you studying? what subjects you studied in A level and what is your A level result? (if you dont like to disclose, it is absolutely fine)

Thx!

Joanne
Original post by Joannetsui
Hi, Flamingolover

Thx for your reply. I will try to make phone calls to those clinics.

May I ask what uni are you studying? what subjects you studied in A level and what is your A level result? (if you dont like to disclose, it is absolutely fine)

Thx!

Joanne

I’m a 3rd year vet at the university of Nottingham April cohort.

My a-levels:
A- Geograph
A- Biology
B- chemsitry
Reply 5
It may be a little easier once you've left school and are officially a college student,.
Some universities stipulate your work experience must completed within a certain time frame too so keep that in mind.
Reply 6
Original post by 06parent
It may be a little easier once you've left school and are officially a college student,.
Some universities stipulate your work experience must completed within a certain time frame too so keep that in mind.

OP could be doing A levels at their school sixth form - that is more common than going to a separate college to do them.
The time frame aspect is certainly important - RVC certainly used to only count WEX done in the 18 months prior to the October application date.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending