The Student Room Group

Assistance Dog at Uni?

I am in the process of being diagnosed with Ehlers Danlos Syndrome and Autism. I strongly believe an assistance dog would help with things like, picking up objects I have dropped, opening and closing doors when I am on crutches and fetching help if I have fallen or need support.
Only issue is most ADUK charities able to support people with disabilities such as mine require a fenced off garden, but I am at uni and have been granted permission to stay on campus in my own one bed flat due to my mobility issues. How can I work around this to get the support I need?
Original post by 16hdennis
I am in the process of being diagnosed with Ehlers Danlos Syndrome and Autism. I strongly believe an assistance dog would help with things like, picking up objects I have dropped, opening and closing doors when I am on crutches and fetching help if I have fallen or need support.
Only issue is most ADUK charities able to support people with disabilities such as mine require a fenced off garden, but I am at uni and have been granted permission to stay on campus in my own one bed flat due to my mobility issues. How can I work around this to get the support I need?
First it's important to check if your uni will allow an assistance dog. But also most ADUK companies take about 2 years until you get the dog and they end up costing £23,000. I personally chose to train with pawsable (they train dogs for autism) as they allow owner training and only cost £45 a month, however they are not yet recognised by ADUK so some unis won't accept it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending