The Student Room Group

Bringing my dog to university

Hello, I'm currently in a difficult situation which is dictating where I am likely to go to university. I live with my Dad and my grandparents dog, who I have taken care of since their passing. My dad is not fond of my dog, and has already said to me that if I were to go to uni, he would not look after him. This has lead to me looking into private rent and taking my dog with me. Has anyone else done this and is happy to comment on their experiences? My dog is now 8 years old, and I know he won't be able to be rehomed. He is relatively low maintenance (chilled out westie) and is happy sitting by the window all day provided he gets his walks and feeding. I just need some reassurance that this is an ok approach to take, I'm aware costs will be harder, and homes harder to find, but I am willing to try anything at this point, thanks.
(edited 5 months ago)
That is entirely up to the private landlord's and universities will say no.
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by serenabell
Hello, I'm currently in a difficult situation which is dictating where I am likely to go to university. I live with my Dad and my grandparents dog, who I have taken care of since their passing. My dad is not fond of my dog, and has already said to me that if I were to go to uni, he would not look him. This has lead to me looking into private rent and taking my dog with me. Has anyone else done this and is happy to comment on their experiences? My dog is now 8 years old, and I know he won't be able to be rehomed. He is relatively low maintenance (chilled out westie) and is happy sitting by the window all day provided he gets his walks and feeding. I just need some reassurance that this is an ok approach to take, I'm aware costs will be harder, and homes harder to find, but I am willing to try anything at this point, thanks.

I think there are properties where pets are allowed. Try and search for those. Hope it helps :smile:
Renting privately, especially in first year, could significantly affect your social life at university.

Quick Reply

Latest