The Student Room Group

Student halls or Private accommodation?

I’m not sure which accommodation to go with for my first year!!
I know i’ll definitely go with an en suite, would prefer less rowdiness and disruption but enjoy the social aspect. Any help?
Hey if you prefer a quiet, I’d say good for private accommodation as there will still be a lot of students around so you can still meet you friends and have a bit more of your own space as well. My friend is in private accommodation. She enjoys it and she’s made lots of friends who live nearby x hope that helps
Original post by npenn
I’m not sure which accommodation to go with for my first year!!
I know i’ll definitely go with an en suite, would prefer less rowdiness and disruption but enjoy the social aspect. Any help?
As someone who is not in university nor has had parents who went university, I would suggest halls 1st year as I guess it would be easier to establish a solid friend group, not saying you won't with private but I'd assume it would be easier. Then make that transition to private accommodation with said friend group, makes rent a fair amount easier to handle plus you would be with friends you chose to have!
Hi @npenn

Private accommodation tends to be quieter. You may not necessarily be living with people in the same year as you though. Whereas, in halls you are living with people all the same year. It might be easier to make a friend group in halls. However, having said that, you can still meet people outside of accommodation through societies and on the course. If you struggle with living in a noisier environment then private accommodation might be better. Halls can be loud sometimes during the night with people coming back from nights out and also with fire alarms. It's dependent on the accommodation. Some halls are quieter than others.

Hope this helps,
Gulcin
2nd Year PPE Student
University of Southampton

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending