The Student Room Group

Do I rent/buy an apartment for uni or go into a dorm.

Hello, I’m looking to rent/buy an apartment for Uni (I have enough, don’t worry!) But I’m afraid of having FOMO for Uni events, but I prefer living with myself for cleanliness reasons (so I have heard).
Is it a good idea? Will I have FOMO?
Original post by What_Wait_A_Min
Hello, I’m looking to rent/buy an apartment for Uni (I have enough, don’t worry!) But I’m afraid of having FOMO for Uni events, but I prefer living with myself for cleanliness reasons (so I have heard).

Hi there,

If money isn't an issue and you enjoy your own space, I'd recommend a studio apartment in a private student accommodation. This will give youth space and privacy that you like while still being surrounded by students and getting to take part in events etc.

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Hi,

I would echo what others have said and if you can afford private accommodation, I would recommend private student accommodation companies. I currently live in university halls which I find great and has been amazing for getting to know other students but if you want to have your own kitchen and bathroom then halls might not be the best suited for you.

By living in private university accommodation, you will still have access to the university's social side of shared accommodation whilst also still having your own space which you can maintain to your own standard.

All the best,

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep (3rd-year Children's Nursing)

Hey there @What_Wait_A_Min !

It completely depends how confident you are in your ability to make friends. If you think you're quite an outgoing person and you can rely on your coursemates to reciprocate that then I don't see why not. I do always recommend people go into halls for first year just to experience it once. You're going to get messy people in life wherever you go but as long as you do your bit to clean then you won't get stressed with your space. If you choose to live by yourself in your first year then realistically the people on your course are the main group of people you have to make friends with unless you get a part-time job. If you have the money then I'd recommend putting it aside and going into halls for first year and then after that you could go into a private flat for second year if you really want to. You never know, you could go into halls for first year and make a really good group of friends that you want to live with but if you go into a one person flat and regret it then you're stuck. At least if you're living with other people, you have people to do things with.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
Original post by CardiffUni Rep
Hi there,

If money isn't an issue and you enjoy your own space, I'd recommend a studio apartment in a private student accommodation. This will give youth space and privacy that you like while still being surrounded by students and getting to take part in events etc.

All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep

PRSOM

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending