The Student Room Group

How do you get into good study habits?(Autistic/Neurodivergent.)

I'm not exactly sure how to study better. Or more so how to motivate myself to study and organise studying. I'm also a little depressed so that may effect it. I feel like whenever I have a test coming up its like time speeds up or suddenly I have alot to do cause it comes before I know it and I get a poor/mid score. I'd say my average is like 56-62%. In general, I find it hard to get myself to put down my switch/phone and study. I dont even know where to begin- last time I tried to study for a test(Science)I did a few online quizzes on the subject while reading notes and I still got an pretty trash grade. Is there something I'm doing wrong? What can I do to be more consistent and prepare more productively? My end of year exams are coming up on a few weeks and I've got a 2 week break just before them. So what can I do to prepare myself for studying and to do so in a way that actually helps me retain information?
I'm autistic and I do find it very difficult to get into good study habits. I think it can be quite beneficial to make multiple different plans to follow according to your energy levels, so then you put less pressure on yourself.
For science I tend to make flashcards (online using StudySmarter) and do practise questions. In terms of getting distracted by phone I use Forest so there is a little bit of extrinsic motivation to not use my phone (I do have the premium version because I like looking at my stats, but it definitely isn't necessary).
If you have any more questions please ask me 🙂
Hey! I’m on the spectrum and have ADHD. I was in a similar boat to you at the start of the academic year and I found the best way to study was to mix flashcards in with watching videos and making notes. For example, for psychology I make flash cards on the studies only, then I watch videos, mind map the information i’ve just taken in and then try to relay it out loud like I’m teaching someone. Then when it comes to doing the flashcards, any information that I’ve obtained from watching the videos I simply add on to the answer of the flash card if it applies!
Reply 3
Original post by flowersinmyhair
I'm autistic and I do find it very difficult to get into good study habits. I think it can be quite beneficial to make multiple different plans to follow according to your energy levels, so then you put less pressure on yourself.
For science I tend to make flashcards (online using StudySmarter) and do practise questions. In terms of getting distracted by phone I use Forest so there is a little bit of extrinsic motivation to not use my phone (I do have the premium version because I like looking at my stats, but it definitely isn't necessary).
If you have any more questions please ask me 🙂
Oh, okay, thanks alot! I like the idea of having different study plans according to how I'm feeling in terms of energy levels, and I feel like I could really get behind that, I could never have thought of anything like it before! And thanks for the suggestion ill definitely check it out :smile: this has been really helpful!
Original post by D_D_DX
I'm not exactly sure how to study better. Or more so how to motivate myself to study and organise studying. I'm also a little depressed so that may effect it. I feel like whenever I have a test coming up its like time speeds up or suddenly I have alot to do cause it comes before I know it and I get a poor/mid score. I'd say my average is like 56-62%. In general, I find it hard to get myself to put down my switch/phone and study. I dont even know where to begin- last time I tried to study for a test(Science)I did a few online quizzes on the subject while reading notes and I still got an pretty trash grade. Is there something I'm doing wrong? What can I do to be more consistent and prepare more productively? My end of year exams are coming up on a few weeks and I've got a 2 week break just before them. So what can I do to prepare myself for studying and to do so in a way that actually helps me retain information?
Hello,

Firstly, it's important to be kind to yourself. We would suggest using the Pomodoro Technique, which is a time management method based on 25-mnute stretches of focus work broken by five-minute breaks. Longer breaks (around 15-30 mins) are taken after four consecutive work intervals, each interval is called a pomodoro!

We have blogs about studying while also taking care of your mental health, self-motivation and neurodivergence if you'd like to check them out: tees.ac.uk/vibe.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending