The Student Room Group

One mark of 40% for a module

Hi,
I’m a first year biomed student at dmu I recently received my overall marks for my module I got 39% overall but need 40% to pass the module the component which brought me down was my practical component I got 32. The practical also occurred a month after the death of my great grandmother who I was close to so obviously during that period when I should’ve been revising I wasn’t really in the best state of mind which I think affected my practical result. I do have the option to resit the practical but I wanted to see if I could somehow still a get a pass in the module without resitting since I was 1% off ? Any advice would be appreciated.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi,
I’m a first year biomed student at dmu I recently received my overall marks for my module I got 39% overall but need 40% to pass the module the component which brought me down was my practical component I got 32. The practical also occurred a month after the death of my great grandmother who I was close to so obviously during that period when I should’ve been revising I wasn’t really in the best state of mind which I think affected my practical result. I do have the option to resit the practical but I wanted to see if I could somehow still a get a pass in the module without resitting since I was 1% off ? Any advice would be appreciated.
you need to email your teacher or uni to find out the answer to this, most unis will allow you to retake things and then just cap the grade at 40% at least thats how it works in my uni but sometimes they do just make you retake the whole year, i think its unlikely they let you pass without some sort of retake and unfortunately for mitigation due to whatever reason you usually need to apply before the fact, you don't really get retroactive mitigation
Reply 2
You might get "compensated" - i.e. given the credits for the module even though you have failed. It depends on your university's rules, so you need to check the regs, but usually it depends on the number of credits and whether you have failed another other modules.
Retrospective PMCs/ECs in the form of an academic appeal are usually not permitted - as you would have to demonstrate there was good reason why you didn't apply for them at the time of the affected assessment.
I woudl speak to your Programme Adminstrator for advice.
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi,
Hi there, I hope you're doing okay. I am sorry to hear of the difficult circumstances you are going through😥

As other people have mentioned on this thread, I would definitely recommend speaking directly to your Student Advice Centre, and to your Module Leader or Academic Tutor for further support regarding the module retake and your next steps going forward in regards to your studies🥼🧪

Your Faculty Advice Centre (HLS) will be able to assist you with information regarding Academic Appeals, if this is something you wish to pursue regarding your circumstances in retrospect, as well as retaking a module. You can contact them via the following:

Lower ground floor, Edith Murphy House
Monday to Thursday, 8.30am-4.30pm
Friday, 8.30am–4pm
📞T: +44 (0)116 257 7749
📧E: [email protected]

There is also support available, should you wish or you are curious, through our Healthy DMU Hub☀️

I hope this has been helpful, best wishes,

-Rose🌹, De Montfort University Rep.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending