The Student Room Group

Do you find people fooling around distracting?

In the library, or in a (study) spot that's expected to be private and silent, do you find people fooling around, even silently, distracting af? Playing silent video games on their PC, playing on their phone silently, texting, sleeping in their study spot ... even when they're not making noise, the sight of that plants a seed of distraction in my brain that's just annoying af. I wish they'd get out. But they have every right to be there and part of being an adult is learning how to master your own emotions, and making the most out of suboptimal conditions ...
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by zctpyx0
In the library, or in a (study) spot that's expected to be private and silent, do you find people fooling around, even silently, distracting af? Playing silent video games on their PC, playing on their phone silently, texting, sleeping in their study spot ... even when they're not making noise, the sight of that plants a seed of distraction in my brain that's just annoying af. I wish they'd get out. But they have every right to be there and part of being an adult is learning how to master your own emotions, and making the most out of suboptimal conditions ...

It doesn't bother me. Maybe try focusing on what you're doing rather than what everyone else is doing? :smile:
Original post by zctpyx0
Hey there,

I get where you're coming from. Distractions, even subtle ones, can be challenging in a study space. It's something we all deal with. One trick I've found helpful is noise-cancelling headphones. They create a bubble and can help with noise and visual distractions. Also, some libraries have designated quiet zones have you tried those?
Hopefully, these tips will help you find a bit more focus. We're all in this together!

Cheers,
Shri (MSc International Business Student).
If you're spending all your time focusing so much on people making no noise, then you're distracting yourself. If you were getting on with your work you'd have no idea what was on others people's screens.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending