The Student Room Group

I Always submit things beyond last minute :((

I always end up doing things at the last minute and now not even last eg my uni essays I always submit late even sometimes late by weeks. Even when I make my mine for it be not late still it end up being late now to the point that I have made big messes in my life. With time it is increasing. I feel like it’s due to stress but doing things late and then messing things up is making my life even more stressful and complicated and the cycle just goes on. If I stay free thinking I might need a break I end up overthinking and stressing even more.

Now I’m at a point where this cycle was abt to end and a big mess just happened in my life partially due to luck and partially due to my lack of focus on work and the cycle has started again and is worst than ever.

There’s some jealousy around nd negativity and I’m a really sensitive person. Could this all be due to me getting offended by negative people then overthinking and not focusing on things I should focus on and ending up being late in every thing?
Reply 1
Well, you seem to tell us what the issue is. You need to address it because this will be a significant barrier for you.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I always end up doing things at the last minute and now not even last eg my uni essays I always submit late even sometimes late by weeks. Even when I make my mine for it be not late still it end up being late now to the point that I have made big messes in my life. With time it is increasing. I feel like it’s due to stress but doing things late and then messing things up is making my life even more stressful and complicated and the cycle just goes on. If I stay free thinking I might need a break I end up overthinking and stressing even more.

Now I’m at a point where this cycle was abt to end and a big mess just happened in my life partially due to luck and partially due to my lack of focus on work and the cycle has started again and is worst than ever.

There’s some jealousy around nd negativity and I’m a really sensitive person. Could this all be due to me getting offended by negative people then overthinking and not focusing on things I should focus on and ending up being late in every thing?

same, same, same, same exact thing happened to me.
Thankfully, I stopped this habit just before i started high school.
If you can, please just try to remove any distractions, I swear this works if you truly distance yourself from distractions. This is not a cliche because it actually works. (Although my parents helped me quite a bit)

If you can, try working on paper instead of doing things online, since working on technology is just asking to get distracted.
Think ahead. This sounds weird, but try to imagine a future where you do have it finished, especially since after you finish, you physically feel lighter, it sounds weird, but its true.

Try maybe working in another enviornment your not used to? This could work, I'm not sure myself, but if you work at home, go work in a library and just see if you work better and faster! If it does, viola! If it doesn't try some other way!

And same as me, as a deadline appraches, I become dead worried. But if you finish, like I said before, you actually feel as if someone removed a load pressing on your heart, physically.

To answer you last question. Overthinking does affect your productivity for sure. Plan, adapt, survive. And yes, if you don't focus on what you are doing, there is no way in the heavens you'll finish on time. You need to commit.

Hope that helped, please tell me how everything goes later on!

Hey Anon! Sorry you're feeling this way :frown: What year are you in?

A few tips from me:
- To make things feel more manageable break your assignements down in to tiny chunks. Don't overwhelm yourself with this method - even if you start by setting targets like "By Friday I want to have written 2 paragraphs" - small bits of work will all come together which means when the deadline week hits you've got more to piece together.
- I like @Noice_1's advice to shake up your working environment. Maybe try different zones in your library if you have them? I used to love working in the silent area but working in group study sometimes relaxed me a bit more. Definitely try to switch it up from whatever you're doing right now as that doesn't seem to be working :redface:
- Talk to people around you who can help. Everyone around you might look like they're in control of their studies but I bet some people will be feeling exactly the same. There's strength in numbers and you could form a study or assignment group which could help keep you on track when you need it most :cyber: Chat to your friends or family and see if they can support you.

Wishing you tons of luck!! Let us know how you get on!!

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Hi there, sorry to hear about your situation.

Being worried and overthinking can really distract you from your studies. I also experienced similar things which really prevented me from focusing at all.

You pointed out that there are people with negative outlooks around you. I would recommend distancing yourself from them, this could help you to bring your attention back to what is important. Being sensitive is not necessarily a bad thing, it means you can relate to people a bit more. The important thing though is to be able to train your mind to move away from these issues and being back in the present.

In terms of studying, I would recommend planning out time slots during the day so you can get work done. Take frequent breaks if you feel the need to, and you will surely make progress. I know it can be easy to procrastinate during your studies, but every time that you notice yourself doing so, just refocus back onto what you are meant to do. I also agree with everyone's advices on this thread :smile: they are very practical techniques to try out.

About over worrying, one tip I got from the support and wellbeing team is to plan out 20 minutes (no more than this) each day to write down your worries. This is so you can focus on your studies for the rest of the day, and have time to address the way you are feeling, potentially coming up with solutions too. If you ever need to talk to anyone, I would really recommend speaking to your University's Support and Wellbeing team too.

If you are upset right now, tyring doing some exercise and go for a walk outdoors, it definitely can help. :smile:

I hope this helps.
Chloe
-University of Kent student rep

:console:
Have you always been like this? I'm just wondering if you've looked at the symptoms of ADHD, dyslexia, other neurodiversities etc. If you think it sounds a bit like you it could be worth exploring with a professional. At the very least it's definitely worth having a cpnvo with your academic tutor to see if they have any other tips for you.

Anyway, regarding uni deadlines. What I do especially since 2nd year, the day BEFORE the deadline is now the actual deadline. Yes I know what it might say on Blackboard is the official hard deadline. Basically what works for me is I trick myself into believing either a day before or x2 days before it's due, is the new deadline. Now that fake deadline is the one you have to have the majority of the work done by.

By setting those earlier deadlines for myself means I feel that sense of 'urgency' to do the assignment rather than wait until the hard deadline.

Hope that helps :smile:
(edited 6 months ago)

Anon,

As @Chronoscope has mentioned working to earlier deadlines can help you avoid failing to meet the official deadline. I would suggest setting a deadline a week or two before the work is actually meant to be handed in, this means that if anything does happen, you still have extra time to sort things out.

Do you work best under pressure? Do you tend to do better in exams? Do you find it difficult to just get started with work? Do you find the assignments tedious?

Someone once told me that 'instead of stressing about work, you should just get the work done.' Use your energy wisely: stress doesn't remove work it just makes you feel more tired!

Anon, in life there will always be haters, people who are jealous, envious, bitter etc and you will have to learn to handle that in a way that doesn't make you feel bad or guilty when your are successful or prevent you from achieving. You have to stay focused and not make room for negativity that doesn't help you but only brings you down.

As much as possible, try and surround yourself with positive people, who really do want the best for you, are supportive and celebrate your wins. This doesn't mean that everyone should agree with you 100% and that you surround yourself with people who never challenge or voice an opinion contrary to you, but they should be people who you know that if they are being critical it's because they honestly want you to learn, grow, or be better as a person.

Do reach out to wellbeing and support services, if you need to talk through some of the things going on in your life right now.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
this happened to me when I was in Harvard University (I still am). It was difficult to deal with. But try your best to get your work done on time. Good luck

-Grace
Harvard University Student

Hi Anon,

I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling with this. It sounds like there is a lot going on in your personal and academic life which must be really tough, but there has been some great advice here for you to put into practice.

You mentioned there are negative people in your life. If they're causing you to overthink and not focus on things, which then causes you to be late handing in assignments, you would have a better chance of breaking the cycle by addressing this problem, either by distancing yourself from them or talking to them directly about it. It might be hard to do, but being around jealousy and negativity isn't beneficial for your mental health or your studies!

One thing that helps me a lot when I am struggling to get things done is to start small early on. Open a document, write down the title and all of the little bits you need, and then take a break. Starting for me is the hardest part, so once I am over this barrier, I find it much easier to get things done on time. As a few people have said already, creating an earlier deadline for yourself might also help you with this, and give you enough time to resolve the problem if you do run over.

Scheduling breaks is extremely important for your mental health, so make sure to do that. Cook your favourite food, order in, go for a walk or to the gym, do an activity you love, meet up with friends - whatever it is! Just make sure you are taking sufficient breaks away from your assignments and take your mind off of them for a little while so you can go back refreshed.

Make sure to reach out to the well-being and support services at your university too, as they can provide some great advice, help you to form an action plan, and you can talk through anything else that is bothering you.

I hope this helps and best of luck,
Isabella :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending