The Student Room Group

Why do people talk in the library?

I was just wondering because every time I sit in one of uni's libraries, there are people having conversations at almost normal volume, continually laughing/chatting and sometimes don't even have books/laptops open in front of them. I assumed it was common sense that libraries are quiet working spaces and as we are at university, there is no requirement to be on campus at any time so it's not like they have nowhere else to go. I get some people can't work in silence but if that is you, why would you pick the library over a space such as a cafe or one of the group study rooms that uni have available to book?

If you are someone who does this, please just tell me what the appeal of it is lol because it's so distracting every single day.
Original post by Ihavbinkidnaped
cuz were not nerds lol

then why be in the library at all?
Reply 2
Institutional libraries are seldom wholly quiet these days, and are - in many places - in fact now 'social spaces' for 'collaborative learning'. You can usually find quiet areas or silent areas within, but the days where the whole place was quiet are long gone.
Original post by Username123ab
I was just wondering because every time I sit in one of uni's libraries, there are people having conversations at almost normal volume, continually laughing/chatting and sometimes don't even have books/laptops open in front of them. I assumed it was common sense that libraries are quiet working spaces and as we are at university, there is no requirement to be on campus at any time so it's not like they have nowhere else to go. I get some people can't work in silence but if that is you, why would you pick the library over a space such as a cafe or one of the group study rooms that uni have available to book?

If you are someone who does this, please just tell me what the appeal of it is lol because it's so distracting every single day.

I wish i could tell you why people do this. I hate people like this. They just aren't considerate and have no awareness of what they're doing or the people around them. The library isn't a social gathering and i can't think of a reason why it would be, people just don't have any common sense by the looks of things.
Original post by gjd800
Institutional libraries are seldom wholly quiet these days, and are - in many places - in fact now 'social spaces' for 'collaborative learning'. You can usually find quiet areas or silent areas within, but the days where the whole place was quiet are long gone.

There are collaborative study rooms downstairs that anyone can use though, for some reason they just choose not to use them and sit and chat in the quiet bit instead
Reply 5
Original post by Username123ab
There are collaborative study rooms downstairs that anyone can use though, for some reason they just choose not to use them and sit and chat in the quiet bit instead

It is unfortunately the same basically everywhere
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending