The Student Room Group

is a level about the content you learn or the skills you gain?

also, if some subjects are about content and others are about learning skills, should everyone pick a combination of both.
e.g. for medicine you learn content of biology and chemistry so should third one be a skill like maths (problem solving) or english lit (analytical thinking)..etc.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
not jessica 😭
Original post by ismaelishere
also, if some subjects are about content and others are about learning skills, should everyone pick a combination of both.
e.g. for medicine you learn content of biology and chemistry so should third one be a skill like maths (problem solving) or english lit (analytical thinking)..etc.

Generally, the more vocational the subject, the more the content will be used. I'm well aware that as a Maths student, I may not use the majority of what I learned at all after graduating; whereas a lawyer, architect or doctor may use the content of their degree to a much greater extent.

Edit: I've just realised you were asking about A-Levels rather than degrees. If you're talking about in wider life, the same roughly applies but maybe with a few caveats; if you're talking about the A-Levels required for a degree, it varies. Maths degrees use the content of A-Level to a large extent, whereas for some degrees, the content may be completely unrelated. Some may vary by topic, e.g. History, where your degree may focus on an entirely different time period to your A-Level or may build on it.
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest