The Student Room Group

uni help

Could someone give me a rundown of everything they had to do to prepare for their first year of uni?

When do I pick my optional modules?

Parking at uni?

If it says the start date is the end of September do I need to be there before?

Collecting and doing the student cards?

Any tips whatsoever please.
Original post by princessxo10
Could someone give me a rundown of everything they had to do to prepare for their first year of uni?
When do I pick my optional modules?
Parking at uni?
If it says the start date is the end of September do I need to be there before?
Collecting and doing the student cards?
Any tips whatsoever please.

Optional modules are usually done within the first two weeks, at my uni there is a portal and you pick a shortlist, most of the time you get your first choice (unless there's timetabling issues, etc). Depending on the degree sometimes there might not be optional modules at all, or there might not be any until 2nd or 3rd year

Parking is university dependent. Usually, parking is busy and there are limited spaces, usually you'll need a permit

Start date depends on freshers week is and when your accommodation move in date is. Most people 'start' when their uni accommodation date starts but their actual course might not properly start for another week or so

This would usually be on the uni's website, or you could email them for clarification (I remember I had to upload a photo on my uni's portal but that was during covid so idk if that's any different for other uni's now). I remember when I collected mine card collection was held in an easy to find place on campus. They had people from the local GP on campus too, so we could sign up there and then.

General tips

read the marking criteria for assessments

ask for help with referencing early, and use a reference generator or something to make it easier

don't play loud annoying music/loud gaming in your accommodation or your flatmates will hate you

don't be a messy flatmate and wash your dishes :smile:

(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending