The Student Room Group

Oxford Physics Admissions

I am wishing to attend the University of Oxford to study physics after i complete my a-levels and am predicted 4A*'s taking maths, physics, further maths, additional further maths and chemistry.
My issue is that I did not get the best GCSE's getting one grade 9, six grade 8's and a grade 7. I understand that there is a physics admissions test, as I have been working towards that aswell having done many past papers already and consistently getting mid /high 80 to low 90 out of 100. Do they care as much about your GCSE's? I attend a grammar school btw, so the contextualised GCSE thing worries me aswell.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance!
Original post by Anonymous #1
I am wishing to attend the University of Oxford to study physics after i complete my a-levels and am predicted 4A*'s taking maths, physics, further maths, additional further maths and chemistry.
My issue is that I did not get the best GCSE's getting one grade 9, six grade 8's and a grade 7. I understand that there is a physics admissions test, as I have been working towards that aswell having done many past papers already and consistently getting mid /high 80 to low 90 out of 100. Do they care as much about your GCSE's? I attend a grammar school btw, so the contextualised GCSE thing worries me aswell.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance!

bump
Reply 2
Your GCSE results are very good so I'm not sure what you're worried about. In any case they won't make a significant difference to your application. The PAT score is the most important thing to get you an interview, and then how you do in the interview itself will determine whether you get an offer.
dont worry
they care about your test to get an interview
then its all about the interview and the a levels
I would just like to add to "contextualise" myself relative to my school, the average GCSE top 8 for my particular subject was 61.704 and average top 8 for all subjects was 60.391. I got 64 so ig i am above average, but the issue is, i have a friend who applied and got 77 in the PAT and a top 8 a couple grades above me, 67 to 71 ish, and got rejected without interview, so unless i do well in the test, like above 87 hopefull 90, I believe i may get rejected, which is why im considering cambridge as the NSAA is a much easier assessment. Anyways, my question is that as i am above average for my subjects and my school, is it likely my cGCSE score will be positive?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending