The Student Room Group

Computers

Hi I'm going to start studying mechatronics and robotic engineering at uni in september. What computers would be good for this course or just engineering in general? Budget is up to £1000.
Reply 1
Hey. I'm neither robotic or engineering guy, so I'm not quite sure what kind of stuff do you need on computer, but if you are using it for some kind of software, probably the best option is to buy new/renewed MacBook Pro(2018-2020). There are 3 key things no other laptop can beat it: 1. It is the lightest laptop that you would find so you can easily carry it around
2. It has best build quality amongst all the others, so it's very unluckily to become "noisy" and etc within a year as any other laptop would do.
3. Its battery capacity is just something different, up to 20 hours without a charge(not sure about software usage though), but it is best on the market. Renewed version cost around 800 pound for 512gb version which should be enough for you. Hope it was helpful:smile: (please don't buy cheap Asus laptops and etc, they might work well first 2-3 months but then your battery level would rapidly go down, it's performance would low so yeah, you should better pay more at the beginning to enjoy it for all 4 years of education)
Reply 2
Original post by donlon41
Hi I'm going to start studying mechatronics and robotic engineering at uni in september. What computers would be good for this course or just engineering in general? Budget is up to £1000.

Since you're doing engineering maybe you'll be use lots of design software so you want a laptop that has a better proccessor ram and storage.

Quick Reply

Latest