The Student Room Group

Got a low pass for my first MSc assignment.

I got a 52 which is I think the lowest university grade I've ever gotten.

I think I'm going to get a worse grade for the second assignment I submitted.

Is this normal for my first assignment of the course?
Reply 1
Not really, it's scraping a pass. WHya re you struggling? The reasons for this need investigating and addressing.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by gjd800
Not really, it's scraping a pass. WHya re you struggling? The reasons for this need investigating and addressing.

I think I underestimated a little bit how hard it would be + I haven't felt extremely motivated. I'm studying part time so it's not the only focus in my life. One main factor though is that I don't think the teaching material is very good. The lecture slides seem and look low-effort and don't contain enough detail. To do well you very much have to do 90% on your own. Which makes me think what am I paying for.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #1
I think I underestimated a little bit how hard it would be + I haven't felt extremely motivated. I'm studying part time so it's not the only focus in my life. One main factor though is that I don't think the teaching material is very good. The lecture slides seem and look low-effort and don't contain enough detail. To do well you very much have to do 90% on your own. Which makes me think what am I paying for.

My experience of masters courses in general is that 90% of it is on your own, unfortunately (well, fortunately for me because I preferred it but I understand that people do not). The lecture materials ought to be better, however, and this is perhaps something to bring up with our course representatives.

This being the case, it might be worth you speaking to your liaison librarian or the library teams responsible for skills workshops and directed support about how you can better manage the workload - doing it part time with jobs, kids, care responsibilities and all that other potential stuff isn't easy and there's no shame at all in asking for some strategies to give yourself an edge.

Hi,
I understand how with independent study, sometimes it can be difficult to see where your money is going.
It's important to remember that you still have access to campus facilities, library teams and study skills teams.
If you're struggling, set up a meeting with your lecturer and possibly ask for some tutorials. Most would be more than happy to go through topics with you that you may not understand as well as look at your work ahead of time to give you some feedback.
Best of luck,
Meg 🙂
MA Popular Music Student.
I got a 52 which is I think the lowest university grade I've ever gotten.

I think I'm going to get a worse grade for the second assignment I submitted.

Is this normal for my first assignment of the course?

Hi,

I hope this message finds you well. I understand that receiving a 52 on your first assignment might feel discouraging, but it's not uncommon for the initial phase of a course to present challenges. I have seen many students, myself included, face similar situations in the early stages of a new academic endeavour.
I would encourage you to view this as an opportunity for growth and learning. Reflecting on your performance, identifying areas for improvement, and seeking constructive feedback can be immensely valuable. Taking the initiative to ask for detailed feedback from your instructor will provide insights into where you can enhance your understanding and performance.
Additionally, don't hesitate to explore the support services offered by the school. They often have resources such as study help, tutoring, or workshops that can assist you in grasping the material more effectively. Remember, every assignment is a chance to refine your skills, and setbacks can serve as stepping stones towards improvement.
Stay positive, seek assistance when needed, and use this experience as motivation to excel in the upcoming assignments. You've got this!

Cheers,
MSc International Business Student.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending