The Student Room Group

Australian Graduate Applying for UK Internships

Hi there,

I graduated from university in Australia and took a gap year where I spent 5 months in the UK working at a summer camp/travelling. I returned to Aus but am planning on going back to the UK as my visa is still valid. Whilst back home I am trying to apply for marketing/pr internships but not having much luck. Just wondering if anyone has any advice? I understand I’m not currently in the UK but am applying for positions that start in a few months time.

I am also seeing a lot of great opportunities that are student placements. I’m wondering what the reason is for a lot of these placements only accepting applications from current students as opposed to graduates? I suppose I automatically wouldn’t be considered if I applied as a graduate?

In Australia (in my field of study) taking a placement year isn’t very common, so I’m not too familiar with the concept. Instead most students would undertake internships whilst studying, usually for 3-6 months.

I understand that it may be unfair for graduates to take opportunities from students but being without that experience of a placement year I’m wondering if I could apply for any of those positions?

(edited 4 weeks ago)
Reason you might struggle is because outside of finance firms, marketing and others dont hire entry from abroad, also the sponsorship requirements are a pain for employers. And many firms do hire people that finished 1-2 years and are looking for entry roles (grad jobs) but internships are normally reserved for second to final year students. If its a big company and u apply for a student only role ye auto disqualified but if its a small company they normally are flexible. If your looking for a marketing job lots of small firms that arent publicly hiring/didnt think of hiring so maybe reach out directly. But will need a better pitch then "i a aussie that likes to travel and hang out with friends and get trained" etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending