The Student Room Group

Attending uni in the UK as an American

Hi! I am an American who plans to study criminology in the UK as an undergraduate. I have been accepted into Ulster University and Bath Spa university and my first choice is Durham but I have not heard back yet. I have a very limited understanding of uni structure and the grading in the Uk. Can anyone help me out? and does anyone have questions about studying in the US?
Original post by Sofia_the_1
Hi! I am an American who plans to study criminology in the UK as an undergraduate. I have been accepted into Ulster University and Bath Spa university and my first choice is Durham but I have not heard back yet. I have a very limited understanding of uni structure and the grading in the Uk. Can anyone help me out? and does anyone have questions about studying in the US?

You’ll want to always am for a 2:1 at least each year, as this is usually the minimum grading most firms will want, better than average but not the top. 2:2 is the lowest you’ll want to achieve but it does get lower. Unlike the US, university rankings matter a lot less in the UK, although this may be different if you are going to work in the USA afterwards as I’m not sure how or if this would affect your employment there, I would assume not though as it’s international study.

You usually study just a few days a week with a small handful of classes, although this can vary depending on what you are studying each semester. I think the semesters start and finish are very similar to the US from what i’ve heard, as I have a friend out there studying currently.

I took a year out as I wasn’t originally sure what or where I wanted to study but Bath Spa is also an option of mine, although I think I may be firming it as my first choice!

Usually you’ll be able to get a room to yourself (I heard it’s a lot of shared rooms in the states) Usually it’ll be a flat or apartment between 6-12 people, varying from accommodation block to university.

It’s a lot of independent study, so it would be advised to always have a laptop or iPad on you, Lecturers will give you information but you will have to learn more and develop it yourself, they are also there to help you, though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending