The Student Room Group

if i move universities, will SFE still pay my tuition fee?

So I’ve completed one year of a university course, but have decided I want to go to a different university to study something else. I’ve already applied through UCAS and have gotten offers, but I’m staying on till the end of the year at my current university so that student finance will still pay my loans. However, I’ve read that if you change universities before finishing your current course, you have to pay all the tuition fees yourself. Is this true? I’m confused and there’s no way I can pay £27k all by myself.
Original post by imsorryjen
So I’ve completed one year of a university course, but have decided I want to go to a different university to study something else. I’ve already applied through UCAS and have gotten offers, but I’m staying on till the end of the year at my current university so that student finance will still pay my loans. However, I’ve read that if you change universities before finishing your current course, you have to pay all the tuition fees yourself. Is this true? I’m confused and there’s no way I can pay £27k all by myself.

It's not true. To work out your entitlement for the new course the calculation is:

length of new course + 1 (gift year) - previous study

For example, if you new course is three years, your calc would be: 3 +1 - 1 = 3

NB - just re-reading your post, it is not clear if you will have completed 1 or 2 years of your current degree when you leave. If it is 2 years, then you would need to fund the first year of your new degree. There are some exceptions to this rule, such as healthcare courses.
Reply 2
Original post by normaw
It's not true. To work out your entitlement for the new course the calculation is:
length of new course + 1 (gift year) - previous study
For example, if you new course is three years, your calc would be: 3 +1 - 1 = 3
NB - just re-reading your post, it is not clear if you will have completed 1 or 2 years of your current degree when you leave. If it is 2 years, then you would need to fund the first year of your new degree. There are some exceptions to this rule, such as healthcare courses.

Hi, thanks for your reply!

When I leave I will have completed 1 year of my current course, i’m staying till the end of the year to hopefully avoid paying any fees for the rest of the year myself?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending