The Student Room Group

*deleted*

deleted
(edited 3 weeks ago)
No expert but you might need a new door, I dunno if they can be practically bent back into place after an impact. What did your insurer say about it? I don't think they'd be happy leaving it like that (I'm assuming you told them as you're required to)

I think the big problem you'll have is people assuming you haven't closed the door right and trying to open it, either breaking into your car or just making the door worse, and if it's already bent once it'll bend again much easier. People going about trying random car doors is still unfortunately a thing and they'll beeline for that door.
Reply 2
Original post by StriderHort
No expert but you might need a new door, I dunno if they can be practically bent back into place after an impact. What did your insurer say about it? I don't think they'd be happy leaving it like that (I'm assuming you told them as you're required to)
I think the big problem you'll have is people assuming you haven't closed the door right and trying to open it, either breaking into your car or just making the door worse, and if it's already bent once it'll bend again much easier. People going about trying random car doors is still unfortunately a thing and they'll beeline for that door.

Not sure about a new door - I've seen some bodywork shops do wonders with things like these. OP go down to your local bodyshop (for cars, not the one that sells creams and lotions) and ask for a quote, though be advised it won't come cheap. Or, as above, you can find a new door - but its likely to be more expensive (painting + fitting) and if it turns out there is indeed a problem with one of the hinges or locking mechanisms, you will have partially wasted your money anyway.

Agreed with the fact that some people out there will just try to wedge your door open. Hell, it looks like its already halfway there.

I'd strongly advise against driving on motorway with something like that. If the door lock decides to go at 70mph - you could land yourself into quite a bit of trouble. Not to mention police can (but not guaranteed) stop you and assess the impact to door. If they think the car is not in roadworthy condition, they are well within their rights to seize and/or give points on license.

Unfortunately cannot give definitive answers without assessment of damage - car bodyshop your best bet probably.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending