The Student Room Group

Help choosing a university (law)

Hi, I'm looking for some advice on choosing a university to study law. I currently have 4 offers - Lancaster, Strathclyde, UEA, and Exeter Penryn for Law with business.

Currently, my favourite campus is Lancaster and I felt completely at home there, however I'm not sure how good they are in terms of teaching law and then their reputation for law, employment etc. As much as I am in love with Lancaster, I can't help but wonder if I'll regret choosing a much better (in terms of reputation) university such as UEA or Exeter.

I know that UEA and Exeter have good reputations for law, and Exeter is a Russel group. I have not yet looked at Exeter campus, but I have looked at UEA and I really disliked the campus and the library, it didn't feel like there were a lot of nice study spaces and the campus just looked really run down. But I did really love their law department, it seemed amazing and the lecturers and students I met seemed so knowledgeable and proud to be there, and I felt like if I studied there I would potentially do very well. It was just the campus and as I said the study spaces, I feel like I would have no motivation to study.
For Exeter, the course I have been given an offer for is LLB law with business. I have never studied business before and I am unsure just how much time I will be spending studying it, and whether it's harder to juggle two different subjects. I am also concerned that Law with business may be seen as lesser than a straight law degree and if that will effect me in the future.

As for Strathclyde, again I had a really good feel for their law department and the lecturer I met seemed really passionate and knowledgeable. I also quite liked the campus, not as much as Lancaster but it was still nice. Again, I don't know what Strathclyde's law rep is, and I was considering having Strathclyde as my insurance.

I would appreciate any and all advice as I have no idea what to do. I don't know whether to sacrifice a campus that I love for a law department that I love/has a good rep (and vice versa), as I need to like the place I am going to be spending 3 years at, but as well I need a good education and I want to go somewhere which will help me get a good job in the end.
Thank you for reading all of this!
Id choose Lancaster if I were in your shoes, I am a second year law studen rn at bristol and attending open days and when speaking to law firms I think what unis u go to does not really matter to an extent. Like Lancaster wont hurt your chances when applying to vacation schemes. Also for Exeter, great uni I applied and got in also, the Law with business course sounds pretty interesting especially since a lot of big firms in London want a business minded person. I would be deciding between Exeter and Lancaster and as you like lancaster go there, its better to be somewhere u like as thatll show in your grades.
Original post by myarv2
Hi, I'm looking for some advice on choosing a university to study law. I currently have 4 offers - Lancaster, Strathclyde, UEA, and Exeter Penryn for Law with business.

Currently, my favourite campus is Lancaster and I felt completely at home there, however I'm not sure how good they are in terms of teaching law and then their reputation for law, employment etc. As much as I am in love with Lancaster, I can't help but wonder if I'll regret choosing a much better (in terms of reputation) university such as UEA or Exeter.

I know that UEA and Exeter have good reputations for law, and Exeter is a Russel group. I have not yet looked at Exeter campus, but I have looked at UEA and I really disliked the campus and the library, it didn't feel like there were a lot of nice study spaces and the campus just looked really run down. But I did really love their law department, it seemed amazing and the lecturers and students I met seemed so knowledgeable and proud to be there, and I felt like if I studied there I would potentially do very well. It was just the campus and as I said the study spaces, I feel like I would have no motivation to study.
For Exeter, the course I have been given an offer for is LLB law with business. I have never studied business before and I am unsure just how much time I will be spending studying it, and whether it's harder to juggle two different subjects. I am also concerned that Law with business may be seen as lesser than a straight law degree and if that will effect me in the future.

As for Strathclyde, again I had a really good feel for their law department and the lecturer I met seemed really passionate and knowledgeable. I also quite liked the campus, not as much as Lancaster but it was still nice. Again, I don't know what Strathclyde's law rep is, and I was considering having Strathclyde as my insurance.

I would appreciate any and all advice as I have no idea what to do. I don't know whether to sacrifice a campus that I love for a law department that I love/has a good rep (and vice versa), as I need to like the place I am going to be spending 3 years at, but as well I need a good education and I want to go somewhere which will help me get a good job in the end.

Hi @myarv2,

Congratulations on your 4 offers - this is really fantastic!

I perfectly understand your situation as I had to turn down a few PhD offers myself before making my mind and deciding to choose UEA. Whilst, I'm not in law myself (PhD in Biology), there are a few things that helped me decide.

Reputations of the department and the amount of research performed. You might not want necessarily want to go into academia after your degree, yet if the department is strong academically this reflects quite a lot in the teaching and signals a very strong message to employers.

Career support available. UEA is very well known for their career central support service. They have a variety of incentives to make you work on your CV and cover letter, by offering you awards (that you can list in your CV). Equally, they keep very good links with UEA alumni and often refer students for employment that way.

The city itself. Norwich is just beautiful. It's incredibly sunny and the atmosphere is just indescribable. There are so many nice coffee shops to study from and the sea side is just 30 min by train. The latter completely sold me!

I know that you think that the decision you are about to take is one of the most important in your life; and to certain extend it is. But always remember that you are the one who creates all the opportunities in your life no matter the place you decide to study! I have studied at 3 different universities (BSc/MSc/PhD); Middlesex University London, UCL and am currently at UEA and I never regretted any of my decisions. They all gave me different opportunities that helped me build my character and skills.

I am wishing you all the very best and please do reach out if you'd want to chat more.

Daniel
Original post by myarv2

Hey @myarv2 😀 Congrats on your offers!

I'm a big advocate of picking a University which gives you a really good gut feeling. It sounds like Lancaster does that for you 🙂 Do they use anything like Unibuddy where you could search and speak to current Law students? They might be able to chat to you about teaching style and career support etc.

You've got loads of time to make your decision which is great. Take the time over the upcoming Christmas break to continue on with your research and think about which of the courses and unis excite you most. Normally Universities will hold applicant events once the UCAS deadline has passed so you can look out for those too. Write down all your questions for each university and make sure you get them answered - either in person at an event or by email.

Super pleased to hear that Strathclyde is up there with one of your choices too. We're known as the 'Place of Useful Learning' and our Law department definitely implements this. We have a great Law Clinic which lets students experience practicing Law throughout the degree, and we teach English Law modules too. Please do feel free to drop me a wee message if there's anything you'd like to know 🙏

-Caitlin 😀
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
also probably dont listen to any uni rep theyll be bias like crazy
Original post by intheimageofGOD
also probably dont listen to any uni rep theyll be bias like crazy

Hey @intheimageofGOD, some of us might be a little bias but I personally have changed universities 3 times during my education journey and am sharing just my motivations for it 🙂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending