The Student Room Group

MSC finance in lancaster university or university of bath?

Hello everyone, I need your help in finalizing the university for my Masters in Finance.

1. University of Bath
2. University of Lancaster
Reply 1
Both are highly regarded universities. Both are campus universities. The only advantage Bath has is that the city of Bath is nicer than the city of Lancaster.

Have a look at their ties with industry - pick the uni with better industry ties.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by vv02
Hello everyone, I need your help in finalizing the university for my Masters in Finance.

1. University of Bath

Which course do you prefer?
Reply 3
Original post by normaw
Which course do you prefer?

Both of their curriculum are exceptionally tailored to the on going business needs. I am not sure but which university has more industry ties or more visibility with the employers.
Original post by mike23mike
Both are highly regarded universities. Both are campus universities. The only advantage Bath has is that the city of Bath is nicer than the city of Lancaster.

Have a look at their ties with industry - pick the uni with better industry ties.

Hey thankyou for your suggestion. Though I am not sure but which university has more industry ties or more visibility with the employers.
Original post by vv02
Both of their curriculum are exceptionally tailored to the on going business needs. I am not sure but which university has more industry ties or more visibility with the employers.

Hey thankyou for your suggestion. Though I am not sure but which university has more industry ties or more visibility with the employers.

Do they give you an opportunity for a placement? If so, that would add to your CV and make you more attractive to employers.

In terms of location, compare living costs (Lancaster accommodation is much cheaper than Bath), transport connections, entertainment and availability of clubs/societies, etc.
Reply 5
Original post by vv02

Contact both unis and ask them about their industry links. Ask where their students for for the placement year.
Original post by vv02

1. University of Bath

Hi @vv02!

I'm currently a third year student at Lancaster, and whilst I'm not doing Finance, and so can't offer any insight into studying that here at Lancaster, I can tell you what my experience at Lancaster has been like in general, and give some general advice in relation to deciding between two universities.

The campus here is amazing, and was one of the initial things that drew me to the university. It has plenty of green spaces, and the buildings, both accommodation and general buildings, are modern and have great facilities. The library in particular is one of my favourite buildings on campus - it has three floors, each for different sound levels, i.e., first floor can be used for group work/more casual, second floor is quiet study, and third floor is silent study. It also has a range of seating types and rooms, so there's always something to fit what you are going for.

The support services here are also really good. There are a wide range of services and people that you can speak to, no matter what the problem is, and I have always felt supported and like a part of the community. There is also a great range of things that you can get involved in, i.e., societies, sports clubs, etc., no matter what your interests are.

In terms of just generally picking a university - my best piece of advice is to go with your gut. Both Lancaster and Bath are great universities, and have differences and similarities with one another. If you feel like you like both courses equally and are still having a hard time choosing, if you can, I would definitely recommend visiting both universities, or even attending an online open day if you're unable to visit in person. Getting to personally experience the campus, and getting to look around the cities themselves is always really helpful to gauge whether or not you can see yourself studying there.

Best of luck with making a decision!

~ Cathryn (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Original post by vv02

1. University of Bath

Hi!

I don't study Finance at Bath, but I am doing a postgrad course.

I'm not sure how much you're considering various aspects of studying a postgrad course, such as student life or the university as a whole, but I'll say a little about my experience.

I came to Bath just for my MA, I studied at Nottingham for my undergrad. Bath is a much smaller university in terms of campus and number of students than Nottingham, and I found it to be a really nice change to be somewhere where you don't get lost so easily! The campus is really modern and there is always a lot going on in terms of sports, societies, social events etc.

I also love the city - there's so much to explore and see, especially around the holidays!

Pastoral support is also excellent at Bath - I receive disability support, but their is also peer and staff support for issues related to finance, visas for international students, studies and health.

I would really recommend Bath as a university to do a postgrad. Good luck whatever you choose!

Maya

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending