The Student Room Group

Queen Mary or LSE? But have to wait a year for LSE

Hi, I'm in a hard spot right now. I got 3 B's in A Level, but I was behind an A for all 3 subjects with 1-3 marks. I've since sent them off for a re-mark. I have an offer from Queen Mary, but not LSE which I will have to wait a year to apply to my course (AAB), but of course there's no guarantee my grades will increase, or maybe only one will. Is it worth waiting a year, is it worth the risks? I have to accept my accomodation offer for Queen Mary by 2 days. Is there a possibility for me to go 1 year to Queen Mary and then finish the remaining 2 years in LSE?
Reply 1
Which course at LSE? Any reason to be confident you would get an offer?
Reply 2
BSc International Relations and History, AAB is the contextual offer which I would most definitely get. The issue is whether 2 of my A Levels will increase to an A after a re-mark (like I said, there's a 1-3 mark difference for all 3 subjects). And also waiting for my results would put my accommodation in Queen Mary at jeopardy.
Reply 3
Original post by Arda16
Hi, I'm in a hard spot right now. I got 3 B's in A Level, but I was behind an A for all 3 subjects with 1-3 marks. I've since sent them off for a re-mark. I have an offer from Queen Mary, but not LSE which I will have to wait a year to apply to my course (AAB), but of course there's no guarantee my grades will increase, or maybe only one will. Is it worth waiting a year, is it worth the risks? I have to accept my accomodation offer for Queen Mary by 2 days. Is there a possibility for me to go 1 year to Queen Mary and then finish the remaining 2 years in LSE?

Very unlikely you would able to transfer to LSE from QMUL after one year and go into Year 2 so really not worth thinking about that.

I would accept QMUL for now. If when you get your remarks back you have AAB you could always withdraw from QMUL and take a year out to apply to LSE and other unis next year. All you would lose is your accommodation deposit.
No guarantee that LSE would give you an offer in 2024 of course.
Reply 4
Original post by harrysbar
Very unlikely you would able to transfer to LSE from QMUL after one year and go into Year 2 so really not worth thinking about that.

I would accept QMUL for now. If when you get your remarks back you have AAB you could always withdraw from QMUL and take a year out to apply to LSE and other unis next year. All you would lose is your accommodation deposit.
No guarantee that LSE would give you an offer in 2024 of course.

Hey, I don't think I could withdraw from QMUL until my accomodation contract with them expires. I have to respond to their accomodation offer by the 20th, 2 days later.

I'm aware a place at LSE isn't guaranteed, but it's well worth a try. However it's a great risk considering my grades might not change to an A, or that maybe one would change and not two/three.
Reply 5
Go to QMUL - LSE etc are really not all they are cracked up to be.
Original post by Arda16
BSc International Relations and History, AAB is the contextual offer which I would most definitely get. The issue is whether 2 of my A Levels will increase to an A after a re-mark (like I said, there's a 1-3 mark difference for all 3 subjects). And also waiting for my results would put my accommodation in Queen Mary at jeopardy.

If memory serves, IR is extremely competitive at LSE. Even if the grade requirements aren't as high as other courses, they tend to get a lot of applicants for the IR and joint honours as I recall. So I think an offer is definitely not guaranteed even if you did get AAB in the remarks.

What is it you want to do after the degree? For most things it won't actually matter whether you go to QMUL or LSE in the end.
Reply 7
Original post by Arda16
Hey, I don't think I could withdraw from QMUL until my accomodation contract with them expires. I have to respond to their accomodation offer by the 20th, 2 days later.

I'm aware a place at LSE isn't guaranteed, but it's well worth a try. However it's a great risk considering my grades might not change to an A, or that maybe one would change and not two/three.

It's a shame they are making you commit to an accommodation contract so early, not giving you a chance to think are they?

All in all, I think your best bet is probably just to commit to QMUL.
I would go to QMUL and enjoy the next stage of your education.
Depends what you want, and where you see yourself in the future.

LSE will open more doors imo (though I might be biased in saying that), but your university experience will be very different than if you were to go to QMUL - more stressful, more corporate feeling, less social.

It's up to you how you weigh these risks & what you prioritise in life.
Unless you are an international student, your chances of receiving a place at LSE is quite small.
Original post by McGinger
Go to QMUL - LSE etc are really not all they are cracked up to be.

whats better for economics queen mary or city uol?
Reply 12
Original post by malakiebind
whats better for economics queen mary or city uol?

Please define 'better' - and how you intend measuring it.
Original post by McGinger
Please define 'better' - and how you intend measuring it.

well in terms of getting a job after gradating and the environment such as location. i heard QMUL is in mile end and its not great. city is well know for bayes business school.
yeh in that case go City
Reply 15
Original post by Arda16

If you got the grades now you can send another UCAS application WHILE staying at QMUL this year so I think this is a shout? But It would have to be to restart from 1st year at LSE from next year. Student Finance wise it would be fine because they essentially give a ‘gift year’ so you would still be fully funded to restart next year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending