The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

picking between royal holloway and queen mary

hi guys, my girlfriend is currently in the process of choosing which uni she wants to go to for her masters in business and marketing. she has offers from both queen mary's and royal holloway. holloway ranks higher for her course but queen mary's is russel group, so which one should she go to, would appreciate some advice, thank you.
Reply 1
She should go to the one she wants to go to.
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Makro

she likes both but doesn't know which one would be better
Reply 3
Original post by Makro

people don't ask for advice if they have a decisive opinion already

--

picking a masters degree (or an undergrad) based on RG is not very smart - it's a research group so doesn't have an overwhelming effect on the quality of the degree you get at the end

at undergrad, school pedigree is much more prominent, but if you're looking at masters degrees, all of a sudden universities you've not heard of can start outranking the bigger/nameworthy RG universities. i'd recommend going for the higher ranked one, if the ranking seems robust

additionally, RHUL is in a nice area of the country if that appeals to you, meanwhile QMUL is in the city centre if you prefer that
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Bilalamir
hi guys, my girlfriend is currently in the process of choosing which uni she wants to go to for her masters in business and marketing. she has offers from both queen mary's and royal holloway. holloway ranks higher for her course but queen mary's is russel group, so which one should she go to, would appreciate some advice, thank you.

She would go to the one she likes more, whether that is the campus, course modules…
Reply 5
Original post by HoldThisL

--

picking a masters degree (or an undergrad) based on RG is not very smart - it's a research group so doesn't have an overwhelming effect on the quality of the degree you get at the end

at undergrad, school pedigree is much more prominent, but if you're looking at masters degrees, all of a sudden universities you've not heard of can start outranking the bigger/nameworthy RG universities. i'd recommend going for the higher ranked one, if the ranking seems robust

additionally, RHUL is in a nice area of the country if that appeals to you, meanwhile QMUL is in the city centre if you prefer that

thank you for that advice
Until a week ago I would have said definitively QMUL, because it’s RG and in the top 100 world ranking. But this week I looked into RHUL and found out it’s highly ranked too. I would still pick QMUL because of the RG. Why doesn’t she apply to KCL? That’s definitely much better! Apparently city is top tor business but again I wouldn’t consider city because it’s not RG.
Reply 7

--

'They' are not asking for advice. OP is the boyfriend.
Reply 8
Original post by Makro
'They' are not asking for advice. OP is the boyfriend.

sorry

@op you are forbidden from reaching out to other sources to gather information your girlfriend may find valuable in making her choice as that's against the rule that anyone asking for advice on behalf of someone else is clearly domineering
Reply 9
sorry

@op you are forbidden from reaching out to other sources to gather information your girlfriend may find valuable in making her choice as that's against the rule that anyone asking for advice on behalf of someone else is clearly domineering

Quite!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending