The Student Room Group

Aren't parents supposed to want their kids to go to college?

(American here, forgive my terminology)
Going to college has always been something I wanted, and its STILL something I really want, but now that the time is almost here, I'm feeling stuck. My mom is supportive of my desires to go to college, but my father is very clearly against it. He believes that you can get any job without a degree these days, but I just don't believe that's true. Especially because my interests are in science and law. You kinda need a degree for those. I'm having trouble, however, because his approval means a lot to me. He's been helping me, but I know he's not on board. At this point, I don't think that it's possible to get him in my corner. Does anyone have any tips for me in terms of accepting the fact that he's just not going to be happy with my decision to go to a university?
Reply 1
Original post by JessieJem
Going to college has always been something I wanted, and its STILL something I really want, but now that the time is almost here, I'm feeling stuck. My mom is supportive of my desires to go to college, but my father is very clearly against it. He believes that you can get any job without a degree these days, but I just don't believe that's true. Especially because my interests are in science and law. You kinda need a degree for those. I'm having trouble, however, because his approval means a lot to me. He's been helping me, but I know he's not on board. At this point, I don't think that it's possible to get him in my corner. Does anyone have any tips for me in terms of accepting the fact that he's just not going to be happy with my decision to go to a university?

degrees are nice and long! id imagine he won’t stay disapproving the entire time, by the end of your degree he might have seen all the work you’ve put in and how happy you are and the jobs you’re looking at and changed his feelings about it entirely. i obv don’t know your parents but if your mum approves she might nudge him a bit to eventually become more supportive. i’m not sure about science stuff but i know with law in the uk there are specific routes where you do need a degree to even start the route to becoming a solicitor/barrister for example. if you could explain to him the process of the SQE and how it requires a law degree (or non law degree plus a conversion course) before you even do the solicitors exam he might understand that it is pretty much a requirement (i’m sure there’s some situation where you could somehow get to be a solicitor without a law degree like apprenticeship sorts of things but for all intents and purposes it IS a requirement) he might understand a bit more. (i’m assuming you’re studying in the uk?)
Reply 2
Original post by JessieJem

Go to college.

Don't let his lack of validation hold you back. if you need a degree in what you enjoy, go get it.
Whilst it's nice to get validation, and it may be important as a scientist later on, it shouldn't stop you.
If you're able to get him slightly more on board with the idea of going off and getting a degree that's at least a start. Your mum is on board, so she may be able to help him understand too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending