The Student Room Group

Will i be allowed to change my a-level options after i get an offer/ results back?

So recently i had a little talk with my parents and decided to not do medicine anymore, i now mainly want to change all my subject choices as i want to go into finance/accounting. And so i was wondering if i would be allowed to do so?
i applied with: chem, bio,physics
i want to do: economics, (maths or bio), Business
any help will be appreciated
Reply 1
Original post by DataVenia
If you receive an offer for degree subject A, you can contact the university concerned and ask if they will consider you for degree subject B instead.

Your request will be considered to be "late" (i.e. after the equal consideration deadline), so it may be that they can't make you an offer for that reason - degree subject B is full. Or it may be that the your A level subjects aren't really appropriate for that subject (e.g. an Economics degree might expect a Maths A level). The fact that your personal statement will be very focussed on degree subject A may also be an issue.

But they might choose to make you an offer for degree subject B. All you can do is ask. :crossedf:
well, i did apply to the sixth forms in question with a personal statement revolving around medicine so i suppose that could be a disadvantage.
In terms of the offers, I plan on telling them about it as soon as i come back from April half term ( they send offers around 31st march) . Would it still be considered late because at this point all seats haven't been confirmed yet .
Thank you so much for all the help
Reply 2
Original post by human_child1
well, i did apply to the sixth forms in question with a personal statement revolving around medicine so i suppose that could be a disadvantage.
In terms of the offers, I plan on telling them about it as soon as i come back from April half term ( they send offers around 31st march) . Would it still be considered late because at this point all seats haven't been confirmed yet .
Thank you so much for all the help
I would think the sensible thing to do would be to contact the schools concerned and ask what they would like you to do.Schools have to work out class sizes for subjects and if you want to do different ones the sooner you tell them the better.
Reply 3
Original post by Scotney
I would think the sensible thing to do would be to contact the schools concerned and ask what they would like you to do.Schools have to work out class sizes for subjects and if you want to do different ones the sooner you tell them the better.
Thank you, just to confirm- so i should contact them like as soon as possible and let them know, as in even before offers roll out?
I thought it would shadow a negative impression since i had my guidance meeting around 20 day ago! but i will still give it a go
Thank you once again
So recently i had a little talk with my parents and decided to not do medicine anymore, i now mainly want to change all my subject choices as i want to go into finance/accounting. And so i was wondering if i would be allowed to do so?
i applied with: chem, bio,physics
i want to do: economics, (maths or bio), Business
any help will be appreciated
so much depends on your school / college. Some places will allow you to change right up to whenyou start or even in term, just depend on if they have space in class, also if you want to do a "funky combo" they may have structured your timetable in a way that you can't combine certain subjects. Speak to / email the head of your sixth form asap saying what you want to study. Some people change after gcse results day either because they realised they were better at some subjects than they thought or they didn't get what they needed.
Thank you, just to confirm- so i should contact them like as soon as possible and let them know, as in even before offers roll out?
I thought it would shadow a negative impression since i had my guidance meeting around 20 day ago! but i will still give it a go
Thank you once again
don't worry, it is much better to be honest and land doing the subjects you want to do. Maybe explain the change of heart, eg realising the options open and where your talents lie. What they want is hard working kids who will be good citizens in school, so if you are still that and they have space, then go for it!
If you wait until you have the offer and they then say they can't take you, it will be stressful trying to change at that stage.
Reply 6
Original post by snoopadoop
don't worry, it is much better to be honest and land doing the subjects you want to do. Maybe explain the change of heart, eg realising the options open and where your talents lie. What they want is hard working kids who will be good citizens in school, so if you are still that and they have space, then go for it!
If you wait until you have the offer and they then say they can't take you, it will be stressful trying to change at that stage.
thank you so much for all the guidance guys, i will try and email them as soon as possible letting them know about it .
Let's see how it goes, hopefully they won't get rid of my application totally😅
Reply 7
thank you so much for all the guidance guys, i will try and email them as soon as possible letting them know about it .
Let's see how it goes, hopefully they won't get rid of my application totally😅
Let us know how it goes.🤞
Don’t do business if you want to study economics/finance at a top uni. I would recommend studying a level maths and two from economics/chemistry/further maths/physics.
Original post by lanky_giraffe
Don’t do business if you want to study economics/finance at a top uni. I would recommend studying a level maths and two from economics/chemistry/further maths/physics.
I was thinking about this too, hiw would physics ,bio and economics be ?
I was thinking about this too, hiw would physics ,bio and economics be ?
Swap bio or physics for maths. You NEED maths
yes just make sure you do it as soon as possible so that the subjects you want don’t become full
Original post by lanky_giraffe
Swap bio or physics for maths. You NEED maths
i would love to do maths , however i am like REALLY bad at it like we are talking 5-6 being my current ( predicted 7 tho with miracle) and so i don't want to take it up as i know it would be really bad if i did.
Original post by leonaaaaaaaaa
yes just make sure you do it as soon as possible so that the subjects you want don’t become full
i will plan on sending the email by the end of this or by max next week since i have mocks at the moment until next friday :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest