The Student Room Group

my dream but my mother doesn’t approve

hi,
my old job idea was to be a nurse/ social worker and for about two years now ive been so interested in womens health and my dream is to work with women and their health. my plan is, to finish my a- levels (ill be 21) and do a diagnostic radiography course and then sonography:smile:
however, my mum wants me to quit my a levels and get a job and she makes me feel so upset and she acts like im sooo old. she says it’s not the job for me and im not cut out of it (meaning im not smart enough).
what do i do ??? do i listen and find something else ?
Reply 1
you can't legally quit your A levels to find a job (unless the job counts as education or training - https://www.gov.uk/know-when-you-can-leave-school) so your mother is wrong and sounds like a bit of a ***** who should be encouraging you to follow your dreams

you have plenty of lifetime to get a job. now is the right time to be exploring things that interest you, even if you might not make it, its still worth a shot
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
hi,
my old job idea was to be a nurse/ social worker and for about two years now ive been so interested in womens health and my dream is to work with women and their health. my plan is, to finish my a- levels (ill be 21) and do a diagnostic radiography course and then sonography:smile:
however, my mum wants me to quit my a levels and get a job and she makes me feel so upset and she acts like im sooo old. she says it’s not the job for me and im not cut out of it (meaning im not smart enough).

there are radiography degree apprentships, im sure she would be fine with that, youll also get your degree
dont listen to her, do what makes you happy and what you wants. its your life and career, not hers. all the best x
hi,

Your career plan sounds good to me. Don't let your mum undermine you. For a DR degree, the entry requirements average around BBB (or 120 points) - some unis a grade lower. And you won't be too old - a lot of healthcare courses attract mature students so you won't be the only person on the course in their 20s. Good luck, keep working on those A levels and get some work/volunteering experience in a public facing role that you can add to your personal statement. :smile:
(edited 8 months ago)
Any idea what's motivating your mum to say this?

I am an optimist and believe folks try to do the right thing, but being human we are all a bit messed up too and sometimes its not the right thing to do at all

Being a parent myself I have to be really careful that my encouragement (or discouragement) isn't more about me than one of my kids. My life experiences aren't going to be their life experiences, but my experiences definitely colour some of my views

Sort of a related (parental) question, have you spoken with folks that do this for a living? Do you know what that job/life will be like?
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by HoldThisL
you can't legally quit your A levels to find a job (unless the job counts as education or training - https://www.gov.uk/know-when-you-can-leave-school) so your mother is wrong and sounds like a bit of a ***** who should be encouraging you to follow your dreams

you have plenty of lifetime to get a job. now is the right time to be exploring things that interest you, even if you might not make it, its still worth a shot

unfortunately, i can legally quit my a-levels as im 19 now not 16 or 17 ☹️.

yes, i agree, i need to at least try and i would like to have some encouragement from my own parents but thats not happening.
Reply 7
Original post by suley2000
there are radiography degree apprentships, im sure she would be fine with that, youll also get your degree

i could try that actually, what are the entry requirements if you know?
Reply 8
Original post by marble arch
dont listen to her, do what makes you happy and what you wants. its your life and career, not hers. all the best x

thank you so much 🥺🥺 you’ve made me feel much better about my choice. i have to decide what i want to do before september it’s scary!
Reply 9
Original post by normaw
Your career plan sounds good to me. Don't let your mum undermine you. For a DR degree, the entry requirements average around BBB (or 120 points) - some unis a grade lower. And you won't be too old - a lot of healthcare courses attract mature students so you won't be the only person on the course in their 20s. Good luck, keep working on those A levels and get some work/volunteering experience in a public facing role that you can add to your personal statement. :smile:

thank you!! i started my a-levels a few months ago and originally wanted to study nursing but now want to study diagnostic radiography so i don’t have a-level bio, so that’s why im trying to make my decision as ill start bio in september. i do it with an online college, so its helpful and they arrange practicals. i do three other a-levels (psychology, sociology and religious studies), should i drop one? most likely RS as that’s my least favourite but i still love it. i could keep the 3 as ive almost completed the year 12 content and im doing my exams in two years. so not sure what to do as biology is a requirement and it looks so interesting i wish i chose it ! thanks i will definitely look into getting experience:smile: i have some carehome experience but i do need more hospital experience :smile:
thank you!! i started my a-levels a few months ago and originally wanted to study nursing but now want to study diagnostic radiography so i don’t have a-level bio, so that’s why im trying to make my decision as ill start bio in september. i do it with an online college, so its helpful and they arrange practicals. i do three other a-levels (psychology, sociology and religious studies), should i drop one? most likely RS as that’s my least favourite but i still love it. i could keep the 3 as ive almost completed the year 12 content and im doing my exams in two years. so not sure what to do as biology is a requirement and it looks so interesting i wish i chose it ! thanks i will definitely look into getting experience:smile: i have some carehome experience but i do need more hospital experience :smile:

Do check the entry requirements of unis that you would like to apply to. A science (not biology specifically) is required but (from what I recall when my daughter looked into the course) some unis accept psychology as the science - but there might not be many who do. If you do decide to take biology, then dropping one of your other subjects would be wise.

The following link is a good place to start a course search:

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/career-planning/course-finder
Like you I also want to work in a career supporting women. I am fascinated by women's health and would love to be an advocate. I am also intrigued by embryology. I am also driven by technology so I know being a sonographer is the perfect job for me. I am 30 with 3 kids. Go for it. You are the perfect age!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending