The Student Room Group

My Mum Won't Let Me Revise (I have GCSEs in a month)

I have a responsibility to myself that I want to do well in my GCSEs. However, I made the mistake of misjudging how long my revision would take and only started in January. I made a revision timetable and I realised that even after pretty much fully booking each day with revision, it will still be a struggle to catch up.

However my mum's slowly deciding I'm doing "too much" eventhough I've always been a productive person and I've known my workstyle for years, taking breaks, still taking care of my physical hygiene and getting 9 hours of sleep (which is above recommended so definitely enough). It's not too much at all because I would feel burnt out and I genuinely don't.

She's slowly reducing the time I'm allowed to revise for. Usually parents are supposed to do the opposite? And she's treating it like a game on a console or something like it's my treat to do revision and she lets me when I behave? Any suggestions?
Original post by pigeon21
I have a responsibility to myself that I want to do well in my GCSEs. However, I made the mistake of misjudging how long my revision would take and only started in January. I made a revision timetable and I realised that even after pretty much fully booking each day with revision, it will still be a struggle to catch up.

However my mum's slowly deciding I'm doing "too much" eventhough I've always been a productive person and I've known my workstyle for years, taking breaks, still taking care of my physical hygiene and getting 9 hours of sleep (which is above recommended so definitely enough). It's not too much at all because I would feel burnt out and I genuinely don't.

She's slowly reducing the time I'm allowed to revise for. Usually parents are supposed to do the opposite? And she's treating it like a game on a console or something like it's my treat to do revision and she lets me when I behave? Any suggestions?

When you say she's reducing your revision time, how is she doing this exactly? If it's by encouraging you to do other things but still giving you freedom to go to your room, the revise as usual but tell her you're working out or something.

If it's by forcing you to stay with her so she knows you aren't working, maybe try staying after school in the library an get the bulk of your work done then. I know some schools do revision sessions for so if she's really adamant, you could tell her it's a 'compulsory session' although I doubt she'd go that far if she cares about you.

I know everyone says to have a chat and explain how you feel, and certainly don't underestimate that (make sure you aren't confrontational), but I also know that parents can be ridiculous sometimes and we just have to find ways around it.

That's such a weird thing to read. Person above me suggested libraries and it seems like a good idea. Or revising with friends. Tell her that yall are going to the mall or smth and revise
Reply 3
Original post by Roses.Are.Red
When you say she's reducing your revision time, how is she doing this exactly? If it's by encouraging you to do other things but still giving you freedom to go to your room, the revise as usual but tell her you're working out or something.

If it's by forcing you to stay with her so she knows you aren't working, maybe try staying after school in the library an get the bulk of your work done then. I know some schools do revision sessions for so if she's really adamant, you could tell her it's a 'compulsory session' although I doubt she'd go that far if she cares about you.

I know everyone says to have a chat and explain how you feel, and certainly don't underestimate that (make sure you aren't confrontational), but I also know that parents can be ridiculous sometimes and we just have to find ways around it.

Thank you for responding. By her not letting me I mean she takes the computer provided by the school from me that I usually do revision on. Also, thank you for recognising that communication doesn't always work because I have tried that and unfortunately sometimes people are too stubborn to listen.
Could you try explaining your situation to your teachers at school and see if they can contact her to explain the importance of revision?
Reply 5
Original post by OllyWilson
That's such a weird thing to read. Person above me suggested libraries and it seems like a good idea. Or revising with friends. Tell her that yall are going to the mall or smth and revise

Yes it's very weird that's exactly how I felt about the situation. I thought normal parents make their kids do too much revision not tell them off. She basically portrays it kinda like, "You're overworking yourself come off now" but in a controlling/condescending tone, if that's the best way to explain it idek. And she is the kind of parent who never has good reasons for her rules and I assume she most likely read a facebook post that tells her the importance of taking time away from computer screens and took it too literally.

Unfortunately, in relation to your advice, being a parent who barely lets me revise means she is also a parent who never lets me out of the house on weekends and is strict about me getting home on time on school days. However, I have fixed the issue now by speaking to staff at my school and they provided me with another school computer to work on (they provide us the computers) until the end of my exams. Since it's an educational resource and it's safe (school accounts and content blocking yk) it won't cause them any legal trouble, so they're fine with it.

Thank you for the response.

Heya!
That's a bit of a weird situation... usually it's the opposite!:s-smilie: I would recommend using libraries or perhaps a local quiet cafe as study spaces and could just say you are going out with friends :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Maybe try to explain the situation to ur Mum and explain that you want to spend more time revising for ur GCSEs and how important it is for u to do well in ur GCSEs and tell ur mum that u will take time to relax after ur exams r finished

However my mum's slowly deciding I'm doing

im predicted all 6s and above despite only starting revision this month, youll do fine as long as youre allowed to do about 2 hours a day
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 9
Original post by amelia.ramp

However my mum's slowly deciding I'm doing

im predicted all 6s and above despite only starting revision this month, youll do fine as long as youre allowed to do about 2 hours a day

That's actually very reassuring thank you
omg do we have the same mum? mine did the exact same thing
I managed to persuade her to let me study by telling her my mental health would be much worse if I did badly on the exams and also made it pretty clear that it would backfire and I would be doing nothing but stressing when not revising.
if you wanted to be sneaky you could also go for a walk and listen to revision podcasts-that's been really useful for me
hi
Reply 12
Original post by sadperfectionist
omg do we have the same mum? mine did the exact same thing
I managed to persuade her to let me study by telling her my mental health would be much worse if I did badly on the exams and also made it pretty clear that it would backfire and I would be doing nothing but stressing when not revising.
if you wanted to be sneaky you could also go for a walk and listen to revision podcasts-that's been really useful for me

Glad to know someone feels the same. Also good idea about the podcasts.
My mum is "certain" I'll do well in my exams and she essentially gaslights me that I'm overparanoid for being concerned about my grades.
I've taken past practice papers and marked them to only get like 25% correct and she's like, "bUt yOu GoT a 7 iN yOuR mOcK"
I honestly can't explain how that happened but I assume the teacher mixed up the grades or something lmao because I've been awful ever since.
It's science for context that I'm awful at. Whoever decided that should be a core subject?

Quick Reply

Latest