The Student Room Group

When to apply for ULaw SQE/ BPP?

Hi there, looking for some advice. Currently in my final year studying a non-law degree at UCL, looking to get into corporate law and have been apply to summer vacation schemes.

Should I apply for SQE training courses from ULaw/ BPP soon or wait until I have secured a vac scheme before I do so? Assuming I secured a vacation scheme and received a training contract, would it be too late to apply by then (summer)?

Alternatively, should I apply for an LLM instead - which means I should start applying now?

Fees and fundings is also a concern (am an international student) hence I am looking to apply for SQE as they're cheaper than masters.
Original post by ApriL2000
Hi there, looking for some advice. Currently in my final year studying a non-law degree at UCL, looking to get into corporate law and have been apply to summer vacation schemes.

Should I apply for SQE training courses from ULaw/ BPP soon or wait until I have secured a vac scheme before I do so? Assuming I secured a vacation scheme and received a training contract, would it be too late to apply by then (summer)?

Alternatively, should I apply for an LLM instead - which means I should start applying now?

Fees and fundings is also a concern (am an international student) hence I am looking to apply for SQE as they're cheaper than masters.

Just get any job after youre on the 2 year post study visa. Don't waste your time with the SQE prep course and especially not on an LLM
Reply 2
Original post by Gmaster1980
Just get any job after youre on the 2 year post study visa. Don't waste your time with the SQE prep course and especially not on an LLM

So I should go for a vacation scheme anyway, wait and see if I get the TC, then apply for the SQE?
So I should go for a vacation scheme anyway, wait and see if I get the TC, then apply for the SQE?

Until you have a training contract secured do not do the SQE

Hi ApriL2000

I think you might find this useful: https://www.solicitor-exams.co.uk/understanding-the-sqe/im-already-studying-for-a-non-law-degree-what-are-my-options

Also if funds are an issue and you don't manage to secure a training contract, there are alternative routes into law that you can explore, which you can find here: https://www.lawcareers.net/Starting-Out/Beginners-Guide-Career-Law/Legal-Career-Paths

Hope that helps!

Nic
Student Ambassador at the University of Law
And following on from my last post, you can also have a look at the University of Law scholarships and bursaries page to see if you are able to apply for any: https://www.law.ac.uk/study/scholarships-bursaries/

Hope that helps!

Nic
Student Ambassador at the University of Law

Hi April,

This is a great question.

If you secure a training contract or qualifying work experience following a vac scheme, the law firm concerned will normally require you to apply to a specific provider, which in the majority of cases will be BPP as more firms who run vac schemes send their trainees to BPP than any other provider.

A number of students in your position will still apply to the law school of their choice at this stage, so that if they are unsuccessful with their training contract or vac scheme applications, they have the option to self-fund their further studies, should you wish to do so. If you leave it until late in the summer to make a decision on whether or not to apply, you may be limiting your options. For support with funding and scholarships, it is always better to apply in advance to ensure you have sufficient opportunities.

One other comment we'd make is that although the SRA has said you that you don't need a law degree or GDL to sit the SQE exams, non-law graduates who choose not to opt for a preparation course could be putting themselves at enormous risk when it comes to sitting such rigorous assessments. Most non-law graduates would be best advised to undertake a law conversion course, like the PGDL or our own Law Foundations Course: https://www.bpp.com/courses/law/postgraduate/law-foundations-course so that you're able to start your SQE preparation on a level playing field with LLB peers. It's worth mentioning that almost all corporate law firms that we have contacted have said that they want non-law graduates to have completed a foundation course or conversion course before attempting the SQE or QWE. We offer a non-law graduate package which provides the Law Foundations Course and SQE Preparation together as a Master's, which makes it cheaper overall, and is eligible for postgraduate funding: https://www.bpp.com/courses/law/postgraduate/sqe/non-law-graduate

I hope you've found this helpful and that this answers your question. If you require any further information, our team would be delighted to help. You can enquire on the above linked page under 'enquire now' and a member of our team will be in touch.

Thank you
Jeni
Original post by BPP University
Hi April,

This is a great question.

If you secure a training contract or qualifying work experience following a vac scheme, the law firm concerned will normally require you to apply to a specific provider, which in the majority of cases will be BPP as more firms who run vac schemes send their trainees to BPP than any other provider.

A number of students in your position will still apply to the law school of their choice at this stage, so that if they are unsuccessful with their training contract or vac scheme applications, they have the option to self-fund their further studies, should you wish to do so. If you leave it until late in the summer to make a decision on whether or not to apply, you may be limiting your options. For support with funding and scholarships, it is always better to apply in advance to ensure you have sufficient opportunities.

One other comment we'd make is that although the SRA has said you that you don't need a law degree or GDL to sit the SQE exams, non-law graduates who choose not to opt for a preparation course could be putting themselves at enormous risk when it comes to sitting such rigorous assessments. Most non-law graduates would be best advised to undertake a law conversion course, like the PGDL or our own Law Foundations Course: https://www.bpp.com/courses/law/postgraduate/law-foundations-course so that you're able to start your SQE preparation on a level playing field with LLB peers. It's worth mentioning that almost all corporate law firms that we have contacted have said that they want non-law graduates to have completed a foundation course or conversion course before attempting the SQE or QWE. We offer a non-law graduate package which provides the Law Foundations Course and SQE Preparation together as a Master's, which makes it cheaper overall, and is eligible for postgraduate funding: https://www.bpp.com/courses/law/postgraduate/sqe/non-law-graduate

I hope you've found this helpful and that this answers your question. If you require any further information, our team would be delighted to help. You can enquire on the above linked page under 'enquire now' and a member of our team will be in touch.

Thank you
Jeni

Hey TSR this is literally a sales pitch can you actually moderate this ****??

I’m with you on this. I’ve chosen to apply for SQE simply because it’s going to cost a lot less than masters. I just can’t afford to pay so much for the master course, esp with the cost of living in the UK rising as well.

Hi there, I’m selling 2021 Barbri SQE study guide volume 1 & 2 and SQE Final revision (please contact me if interested) for £150 [ebook ver]
Reply 9
Original post by SChristensen
I’m with you on this. I’ve chosen to apply for SQE simply because it’s going to cost a lot less than masters. I just can’t afford to pay so much for the master course, esp with the cost of living in the UK rising as well.

Hi there, I’m selling 2021 Barbri SQE study guide volume 1 & 2 and SQE Final revision (please contact me if interested) for £150 [ebook ver]

Hiya, I would be interested in perhaps buying the SQE study guide & Final revision of you. Would the year matter in this case?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending