The Student Room Group

Would taking A level film studies be fine?

Hi,
I am currently in year 11 and choosing my a levels.
Based on the idea of facilitating subjects, i have decided on english lit and geography as my first two subjects.
I am interested in film studies, and i think i would enjoy taking it as a subject, yet im concerned it will limit me in the future as many consider it a 'soft subject.' I also dont want to take four subjects.
I am not looking to go to oxford or cambridge, although a good uni or a RG would be nice.
Would taking film studies severly effect my university choices, or should i consider another subject? Thanks!
(edited 3 months ago)
Why not take 4 A-Levels? If you take Film Studies as a 4th A-Level and consider Economics, Politics or History or even Biology or Chemistry or Maths perhaps?
Reply 2
Original post by thegeek888
Why not take 4 A-Levels? If you take Film Studies as a 4th A-Level and consider Economics, Politics or History or even Biology or Chemistry or Maths perhaps?

I think i would be overworked with four a levels so its not something im considering!
I think its a reasonable choice to make, but it does depend on what you plan to do at University. Just check for any compulsory A levels for any options you are considering. Otherwise, choosing what you would enjoy is definitely best.
Original post by sopa
Hi,
Based on the idea of facilitating subjects, i have decided on english lit and geography as my first two subjects.
I am interested in film studies, and i think i would enjoy taking it as a subject, yet im concerned it will limit me in the future as many consider it a 'soft subject.' I also dont want to take four subjects.
I am not looking to go to oxford or cambridge, although a good uni or a RG would be nice.
Would taking film studies severly effect my university choices, or should i consider another subject? Thanks!

It's not about limiting your university options, they depend on grades, it's about whether it limits your subject options. It's analytical, and so in the same bracket as English, History, HoA etc, so its fine if you want to do something like that as a degree. So think about the subject you want to study at Uni ad whether the combo is supportive of that.
From an admissions POV there’s no such thing as facilitating or soft subjects, (only essential and preferred which should be clearly stated).

Basically you need to have an undergrad course in mind to start your research.
Reply 6
Original post by threeportdrift
It's not about limiting your university options, they depend on grades, it's about whether it limits your subject options. It's analytical, and so in the same bracket as English, History, HoA etc, so its fine if you want to do something like that as a degree. So think about the subject you want to study at Uni ad whether the combo is supportive of that.

thank you !!
Original post by sopa
Hi,

Hey! I'm aware you have had a lot of replies to this thread, but I figured you'd like a current film student's opinion :biggrin: I am currently in year 13 and am studying English Literature, Government and Politics, Film and an EPQ. I have been accepted into 5 unis including Nottingham which is a Russel Group. I didn't pick film in year 12, I originally picked music and had to drop out. I was also worried about taking it because many don't see it as prestigious enough, and while it's harder to apply to oxbridge as you don't have much interest in that then you should be fine. Take what you love and honestly, film can be really fun! Film doesn't limit your future even though that is commonly said about the subject. Hope this helps and good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest