The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

How much does it cost?

Hi

I am wondering how much it costs to study in London. I know the tuition fee is about 3000 pounds, but then there are the living expenses.

The prospectus claims that it "only" costs about 220 pounds a week, which seems quite affordable and maybe its true for first year students since they get a quite cheap accommodation. However, in the second year they basically kick you out of the student house and you have to find your own place to live. Even if you share a place, its gotta be incredibly expensive! I mean, it's London. How can a student afford this?

So anyone who actually knows this, so maybe studies in UCL - how much does it cost? (I know it varies from person to person, but I am fine with an approximate value.)

Thanks!
Reply 1
Well, it depends on numerous factors. Even quite a few UCL or UoL halls will cost you £120+ a week in your first year. But about living in private accomodation the costs really add up despite the fact we are exempt from council tax. I will give you my weekly costs:

1. Rent - £120 (by Mornington Crescent station and Koko)
2. Utilities bill - £15-
3. Internet and the line - £3
4. Food and non-alcholic drinks - £30
5. Books or major photocopying sessions - £5-10
6. Alcohol, societies and general social life costs - £20-£30
7. Occasional usage of the tube or bus - £6
8. Extras i.e. toilet paper, washing up liquid to the likes of toothpaste and gel - £10

So the £220 costs isin't too unrealisitic. I could only imagine it being untrue if you live somwhere like Euston or in a very high quality house/flat.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Vincente
Well, it depends on numerous factors. Even quite a few UCL or UoL halls will cost you £120+ a week in your first year. But about living in private accomodation the costs really add up despite the fact we are exempt from council tax. I will give you my weekly costs:

1. Rent - £120 (by Mornington Crescent station and Koko)
2. Utilities bill - £15-
3. Internet and the line - £3
4. Food and non-alcholic drinks - £30
5. Books or major photocopying sessions - £5-10
6. Alcohol, societies and general social life costs - £20-£30
7. Occasional usage of the tube or bus - £6
8. Extras i.e. toilet paper, washing up liquid to the likes of toothpaste and gel - £10

So the £220 costs isin't too unrealisitic. I could only imagine it being untrue if you live somwhere like Euston or in a very high quality house/flat.

Is £220 roughly how much you and most people spend a week?
Reply 3
Thats quite a tough question because the UCL student population is so diverse. I have a few rather filthily rich friends who already spend £300+ a week on rent let alone other costs. I really can't say what most people spend given the international body and the rather well-off students make-up such a huge proportion of the university. But I guess your average state schooled student would spend this amount or even less.
Reply 4
Vincente
Thats quite a tough question because the UCL student population is so diverse. I have a few rather filthily rich friends who already spend £300+ a week on rent let alone other costs. I really can't say what most people spend given the international body and the rather well-off students make-up such a huge proportion of the university. But I guess your average state schooled student would spend this amount or even less.

Cool cool, thanks!
Reply 5
I've averaged 70GBP per week since the beginning of term (looking at my bank balance). That includes quite a few textbooks, going home on the train (70GBP) once, internet (70GBP) plus weekly costs.

Oh accom is 116GBP per week too
Thanks very much guys, I've been stressing more than a little as my boyfriend seems to think we won't be able to afford to eat!! That's really not much more expensive than Edinburgh except for the rent - although here is the 2nd most expensive student city. Thanks again.
Reply 7
michaela_banana
Thanks very much guys, I've been stressing more than a little as my boyfriend seems to think we won't be able to afford to eat!! That's really not much more expensive than Edinburgh except for the rent - although here is the 2nd most expensive student city. Thanks again.

Edinburgh is the second most expensive student city? I thought Scotland would be cheaper...
toulo
Edinburgh is the second most expensive student city? I thought Scotland would be cheaper...

Ha! I love that! I think the stats show that there are more privately educated kids in scotland than anywhere else in the UK! Things are a wee bit cheaper in Glasgow, but Edinburgh is completely inflated by the tourism and the financial district (chaos it is now in) plus it's the capital of scotland and rents reflect that.
Is 250 £ / week enough or do I have to pay for the education with my own money? I'm especially concerned with finding private accommodation - just how easy available is it really in London. With the given budget I guess I'd have to settle for zone 2 or 3. Not living in London, how are these neighbourhoods - does it take long to get to lectures in the morning etc?
Reply 10
Capocrimini
Does finding a relatively manageable price for accommodation include a lot of wasted time on commuting / bad sleep due to noise at night etc?

No, not so much. I live about 40 mins away from campus (zone 2, sharing with one other person). No noise, really good public transport, and I spend less than £200 a week incl rent. I have been doing so for over a year. In London, if you live close to a convenient tube station, then it's not too bad :smile:

Edit: I noticed you are from Sweden, so if you are an EU citizen, you should get a loan for your tuition fees. Check out the Money and Finance forum for more info :smile:
Reply 11
Capocrimini
Does finding a relatively manageable price for accommodation include a lot of wasted time on commuting / bad sleep due to noise at night etc?

That's a good question! I've been joking with my friends that if you live on 100 pounds a week in London, then you're inhabiting a cardboard box and still spent three-quarter of your money for rent. I don't want to insult anyone, my major concern is that I can't afford it.

I am "shocked" to hear that Edinburgh is that expensive, that's no good news at all for me... :frown:
-Aimee-
No, not so much. I live about 40 mins away from campus (zone 2, sharing with one other person). No noise, really good public transport, and I spend less than £200 a week incl rent. I have been doing so for over a year. In London, if you live close to a convenient tube station, then it's not too bad :smile:

Edit: I noticed you are from Sweden, so if you are an EU citizen, you should get a loan for your tuition fees. Check out the Money and Finance forum for more info :smile:

Yeh, I'll get about 250 £/week. According to your post, that will be enough to get by at the very least! :smile:
Reply 13
:smile: aw you will probably be able to live by yourself if you wish :smile: good luck

Latest

Trending

Trending