The Student Room Group

Contact Lenses

So I go to specsavers and ask to try contacts. She tries to put them in my eye. I blink a lot. She says she'd better make an appointment to show me how to put them in.

So I come back a week later for this appointment. Half an hour of demonstration, pokign my eye, blinking. Somewhat frustrating, but I felt I was getting somewhere. Then they announce half an hour is long enough and I'd better make another appointment if I want to try again.

And charge me £15.

1 - Is there somewhere where I wont BE CHARGED for just *trying* lenses?
2 - Are there some ppl. who just can't wear contact lenses? I just found I blinked whenever I pointed a finger right into my eye. But surely everyone does that?

Is there anythign I can do to practise at home - should I just try to suppress the blink reflex?
Reply 1
you could try holding yoru eye open. you have to get used to it.
if you're not used to wearing make-up it's a lot harder to start with contacts. get some eyeliner and practice putting it on, even if you're a boy, because if you do it enough you just stop having the urge to blink when things come near your eye.

and imo you should be charged - you used a contact lens and it wouldn't be entirely sanitary to re-use them, even if she disinfects them - it's still a tad icky. and it's their time being taken up.
Isn't there any way of holding your eyelid open with one hand, then putting the lens in with the other hand? Or even, using your thumb and middle finger to keep your lid open then put the lens in with the forefinger?

I can't imagine how they couldn't teach you to do it in half an hour!!
Noémie
it wouldn't be entirely sanitary to re-use them, even if she disinfects them - it's still a tad icky. and it's their time being taken up.
It would be against health and safety to re-use lenses - it just would not happen.
Reply 4
Ilora-Danon
It would be against health and safety to re-use lenses - it just would not happen.

that's what i thought but didn't want to say incase one can actually properly disinfect them.
but i suppose that would dissolve the lens, wouldn't it.
Reply 5
i know what ya mean, i was supposed to book another appoitment but i didnt bother
i did get them in but it just took ages. i was there for over 45 mins...n i felt like i was gettin no where.
i took some pairs home to practise but it was just takin ages and then when you get frustrated your evenn less likely to get them in
its so annoying cuz i hate glasses but im still wearin them

i think you should have another appoitment but ask to take some home to practise. i guess options may only have the time and moeny to give you 1 free appoitment.
Reply 6
I learnt by internet. Just search for tips. Personally, say for left eye, position the lens on the tip of your right index finger, hold the eyelid open with with your left middle and ring finger, bring it to near your lashes, roll your eyeball up so you're looking at your eyebrows, push lens in centrally so it doesn't fall out and shut your eyelids immediately.

Do it over the sink and make sure it's plugged in so you don't lose them down the drain.
Reply 7
the way i did it was to use my left index finger to hold my eyelashes taut. and the right index finger to put the lens in. That prevents me from blinking as much. However, inserting contact lenses is based on trial and error, its a frustrating process and may take a while to become a pro in putting them in. Just hang on in there! :smile: All contact lens weares go throught he same process.. you are not alone!
Reply 8
boyfriend has just been through all this.... he went through tesco opticians. he had to go back several times for fittings......

the first they put them in for him (showing him how its done),

the second, they sat there and watched him put them in then take them out again 3 times to make sure he was doing safely and then gave him a weeks trial (to wear for just a couple of hours a day)

he then had to go back for a third time where they put a die in his eye to make sure he wasnt doing any damage.

All of this cost just the £15

after these three appointments he now has the 3 months supply of lenses.

i'd check with specsavers if i were you.....that £15 might be for all the contact lense consultations (like my boyfriends was).... including a weeks supply to try out.

it also has taken him a long time to get used to puting them in, but as people have said its just practice and finding the best method for you.

hope this helps.xxx
Reply 9
Vision Express - way better, don't charge and I often sneak free contacts out of them by saying I lost some lol. So far, they've replaced them for free.

Latest