The Student Room Group

Pharmaceutical Devices

Hey,

Just would appreciate some advice really. I have to write an essay over the holidays about the different types of pharmaceutical devices and how patients should be counselled on their use.

I would therefore like people to help me come with ideas, can you think of any pharmaceutical devices which patients will need to be counselled on?

OR.. where I could go about obtaining a list of pharmaceutical devices?

So far all I can think of is..

- Asthma Inhalers
- Insulin pens
- Trusses

Can anyone think of anymore that I would need to include in my essay or where I could find a list of common pharmaceutical devices?

Would be most appreciated. I have a feeling I am missing some really obvious ones that have not yet popped into my head.

Cheers x
Reply 1
When I started reading this question, I began to think about enemas and eye drops..but I don't think that is what you mean.

Within inhalers I would also include a spacer device for inhalation of steroids and possbily peak flow meters.

Maybe home dialysis machines?

I hope that helps...
petzneo
When I started reading this question, I began to think about enemas and eye drops..but I don't think that is what you mean.

Within inhalers I would also include a spacer device for inhalation of steroids and possbily peak flow meters.

Maybe home dialysis machines?

I hope that helps...

Good ones. Also pessarys/vaginal tablets.

Sounds like a good essay, could write loads just about inhalers there are so many types. Could write about Exubera (inhaled insulin) as well, although now discontinued.
Reply 3
Ah right okay cool. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Do you know if the RPSGB or any particular websites actually have guidance documents about how the pharmacist should counsel on the use of such devices. I have had a look myself but have not found anything. I would like to know how to go about correctly counselling a patient on the use of such devices yet I have no idea where to look in order to find out that sort of information.

e.g. counselling guidelines for: inhalers, eye drops, pessarys, insulin pens etc, etc??

Hope you guys can help.
Reply 4
I haven't looked, but I have been doing some work from a book called "Pharmaceutical practice" and it had quite a bit on pharmaceutical devices. So I definitely reccomend that book.

My only thought would be to actually go and ask a pharmacist, at a pharmacy as they could know.

EDIT: hey. I found a link about asthma inhalers from the RPSGB: http://www.rpsgb.org.uk/pdfs/asthma.pdf

and here :http://www.pharmj.com/Editorial/20000916/society/guidance.html under the title "the patient"
Reply 5
I found this site quite useful as it lists all the different medical devices the patient may require counselling on, including ones that haven't been mentioned such as suppositories, nasal sprays, patches etc.

Hope that helps.

Another useful site on guidelines on counselling, enjoy :smile:
Reply 6
Thanks for the help guys! Most appreciated.
Reply 7
theepw
Thanks for the help guys! Most appreciated.

Thats ok...I learnt quite a bit from answering this question ( so thanks!) :biggrin:
Reply 8
And I'm sitting here at home on my sofa on the first day of my holiday still learning a lot about pharmacy. Damnit, it never leaves - once you're in, you well and truly are in lol
Another one you'll need to mention - oral syringes. It's bloody tricky lol, we had to try it in a tutorial and you need to be really careful. So yeah, counsel on oral syringes (for doses under 5mL)

Latest

Trending

Trending