The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
soffeee
Being the utter prat that i am, I have chosen to do my coursework on Henry II- most probably the least studied/written about King in the whole of English history... I do so love to make my life difficult

a) Henry II (1154-89)
[For the Becket dispute see D3. Law, section 5, is an integral part of the history of this reign.]
E. Amt, The Accession of Henry II in England: Royal Government Restored 1149-59 (1993)
J. Boorman, 'The sheriffs of Henry II and the significance of 1170', Law and Government in Medieval England and Normandy: Essays in Honour of Sir James Holt ed. G. Garnett and J.
Hudson (1994), 255-75
D Crouch, ‘Earl William of Gloucester and the End of the Anarchy’, EHR, 103 (1988), 69-75
J. Gillingham, The Angevin Empire (1984)
C. Harper-Bill and N. Vincent (eds), Henry II: new interpretations, 2007.
W.C. Hollister and T.K. Keefe, 'The making of the Angevin Empire', Journal of British Studies, 12 (1973)
J.C. Holt, '1153: the Treaty of Winchester', in The Anarchy of King Stephen's Reign, ed. E. King (1994) 291-316
T.K. Keefe, 'Geoffrey Plantangenet's will and the Angevin succession', Albion, 6 (1974), 266-74
-------------, 'King Henry II and the earls: the Pipe Roll evidence', Albion, 13 (1981), 191-222
-------------, Feudal Assessments and the Political Community under Henry II and his Sons (1983)
-------------, ‘Proffers for heirs and heiresses in the Pipe Rolls (1190-1212), Haskins Soc. Jnl., 5 (1993)
D.D.R. Owen, Eleanor of Aquitaine: Queen and Legend (1993)
W.L. Warren, Henry II (1973)
G. White, Restoration and Reform 1153-65 (2000) - and see his article in B 3f.

From: http://www.hist.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/part1/2008-2009/papers2and3.pdf

Seems to be plenty to me.
Reply 21
ahh thank youuuu!
I'm doing local history because I am mad. I'm looking at ehich period was my town's 'golden age'. We've just sent our question sheets off to the examiners to get their feedback on our question and research plan, and then our final draft has to be in before we break up for Easter at the end of March.
I'm finding it quite hard not to be narrative at the moment.
Going well everyone??

A tip = if you need more sources and know someone at Uni, go to JSTOR.com and use your friend/sibling's uni password and username to access thousands of scholarly articles, reviews etc for free. You can also copy and paste stuff which makes the whole process far less tedious. :smile:
Reply 24
I'm just planning at the moment. I'm probably going to start it next week after I've set out what I'm going to put down.
T-o dore
Going well everyone??

A tip = if you need more sources and know someone at Uni, go to JSTOR.com and use your friend/sibling's uni password and username to access thousands of scholarly articles, reviews etc for free. You can also copy and paste stuff which makes the whole process far less tedious. :smile:

If you use JSTOR's database then make sure youre referencing and acknowledging stuff properly (if you dont know how to do this properly then look at how history books do it, normally a number after a word and then a footnote), because intellectual property rights are so important in academia and even at a level u could get into trouble for not referencing these articles.
davireland
If you use JSTOR's database then make sure youre referencing and acknowledging stuff properly (if you dont know how to do this properly then look at how history books do it, normally a number after a word and then a footnote), because intellectual property rights are so important in academia and even at a level u could get into trouble for not referencing these articles.

Yeah im all over it :biggrin:
I handed mine in on Friday. :biggrin:
Reply 28
The Boloshevik Revolution - Fun fun fun
Reply 29
Joan of Arc - was she a successful military leader, interesting but difficult to get through all the books i need to
Reply 30
2000 words so far! Just 1/3 left to go =]
Reply 31
I've done all my history exams now, so we just work on coursework from now on. My question is
"To what extent was Sir Robert Peel's decision to repeal the Corn Laws based on his free trade principles?"
If anyone knows where to find Boyd Hilton, "Peel: A Reappraisal" in printable from on the internet somewhere, I'd be very greatful indeed for a link to it!
Reply 32
Explore two conflicting opinions of Abraham Lincoln.
Reply 33
helloo :smile: I am silly, I unsubscribed from my own thread??! not sure how I did that, but hey, I found it again yayy!

I started writing mine the other week :woo: my deadline's the beginning of april :eek: it's quite tricky! I don't know if I've got enough historians etc, and with my topic being so recent (1968) its hard finding 'objective' historians rather than the ones that were there at the time etc. how's everyone else's going?
Reply 34
Lucky, I did a topic which has quite a lot of resources. My problem is just structuring it though. I'm going to try and get it finished half-term so that there is loads of time to edit it etc. Are people going to use a mixture of Primary + Secondary sources, or are you just going to base your argument around secondary sources? I wouldn't know how to collate primary sources for history.
Reply 35
I've got a mixture, primary sources are quite easy for me as its only 1968! I managed to find a whole book of primary documents all related to my topic, which was pretty good :biggrin: yeah I would try and do mine in half term...except I'm going to New York and I really wouldn't have time :tongue:
the structure is dead tricky :s-smilie: I've done the introduction, and then a first paragraph, but I've kinda integrated the historians views from the first entence really, and just kept adding more in and comparing them. I don't know if that's right tho, it seems a little jumbled.
Reply 36
I'm going to do major work on mine next week in half term - funtimes :frown:

At the moment I'm assembling notes on each of the main factors in relation to my question - the research is the important bit, which takes the most time. My teachers have both said that we need to spend at least 3-4 weeks using all the lesson and homework time we have doing research and note-making, and then spend about 2 weeks doing the write-up before easter. Our preliminary draft deadline in the 3rd April, final draft deadline the 14th May.
JB04
2000 words so far! Just 1/3 left to go =]

just remember if you go over 3000 they stop reading then or something. Does anyone know the minimum acceptable word count? Obviously I'll pad it out but looking at my notes now and thinking about what i could add I dont think i could write a whole 3000..more like 2300-500. I'm thinking paragraph per point and 300 is a stretch lol.

Anyway I've done what I think will be enough research. Starting to write it tomorrow and will hopefully be almost done by the end of half term. Our deadline for a rough version is end of the first week back, final one is like march 28-29th
Im finishing notes and plan now... here goes!
Reply 39
Are you suppose to use lots of quotes in the conclusion, or is it just suppose to be you talking?

Latest

Trending

Trending