The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Polymorphing
Yes

I have my own personal reasons which I will share at interview but will not on the web.

I don't understand why you have commented on this thread because you don't seem to contributed anything worthwhile.

Are you autistic?
Profesh
Are you autistic?

Quite. Edit: Good that you can admit to it :smile:
Reply 22
Polymorphing
I don't understand why you have commented on this thread because you don't seem to have contributed anything worthwhile.
This thread is one of the most worthless to have popped up on TSR in a while, nothing in it is remotely worthwhile.
It really comes down to whether you'd rather do a rectal exam on a human or a farm animal...
Reply 24
Cj-Tj
Vet Med is harder, animals cant tell you whats wrong and the anatomy of a sheep is different to that of a parrot, humans tend to be quite similar.

The way you talk to a patient suffering from cancer is different to the way you talk to a patient whoes come in with a cold. Medicine is a hell of a lot more subtle than Vet Med.

Besides, if you lose a sheep, like, who cares?
Vazzyb
The way you talk to a patient suffering from cancer is different to the way you talk to a patient whoes come in with a cold. Medicine is a hell of a lot more subtle than Vet Med.

Plus sometimes patients dont always give the full story- and its about interpreting what they're saying...etc
Vazzyb

QFT.

/thread
Vazzyb

Losing a sheep = losing money = you can't feed your kids/warm your house

Teh sheepz are valuable kthxbai
Transatlanticdrawl_
Losing a hundred sheep = losing money = you can't feed your kids/warm your house

Teh sheepz are valuable kthxbai

Fixed.
anna_spanner89
Plus sometimes patients dont always give the full story- and its about interpreting what they're saying...etc

Besides, animals don't play mind games.

And they don't refuse to leave if they haven't got their latest fix of antibiotics...
OriginofSymmetry
Fixed.

And many things which kill one sheep, could easily kill one hundred. In some situations, One dead sheep can quickly lead to another, unless you call a vet of course.
Reply 31
Vazzyb

Um... yeah I know... but that wasnt the point I was trying to make. The ANATOMY (look it up if you dont know what it means :rolleyes: ) of a human is the same if they have cancer/cold/"insert illness here" so you only have one anatomy to learn, wheras for a Vet Med student there are many many different types. Some componants if you like might be common, ie the circulartory system is quite similar across many different patients, but things like muscle groups, species specific illnesses etc will be completly different from one patient to the next. Also, at least with a human you get some information. With animals symptoms are often just "hes gone off his food" or "he has a bump under the skin" which could be many different illness'. The vet then has to diagnose it from what information he has availible.

As for who cares if you lose a sheep; who cares if you dont get fed? Food dosnt appear on Tesco's shelves by itself you know! :wink:
Reply 32
Oh for heavens sake, I don't see why people on this forum are so angry. If you're not interested in the thread and think it's a pointless debate, why answer?

I don't study either, so don't know a huge amount but personally I think medicine is harder, simply because you're dealing with humans, not animals. Theres a lot more of the ethical side in medicine, which I would find harder than simply memorising anatomy, physiology etc

And I'd be devastated if my mistake led to a person dying, less so if it was a puppy.
Cassie89
, which I would find harder than simply memorising anatomy, physiology etc

Is that all there is to Vet medicine? Damn, I'd best forget all about the roles of a vet involved in rural affairs, rules and regulations, and EU legislation, just to name a few.
My chemistry teacher likes to think it's Vet Med.
But, who's to know? Like it matters.
Unless you want to study the hardest subject ever!!!111one.
Reply 35
Transatlanticdrawl_
Is that all there is to Vet medicine? Damn, I'd best forget all about the roles of a vet involved in rural affairs, rules and regulations, and EU legislation, just to name a few.

The point I was trying to get across is that the moral side of medicine is harder. There are loads of bioethics that come up, simply because you are dealing with humans, not animals. Yes there is a "sociology" side to vet med, but it doesn't pose issues that would have me lying awake at night.
Reply 36
Cj-Tj
Um... yeah I know... but that wasnt the point I was trying to make. The ANATOMY (look it up if you dont know what it means :rolleyes: )

Thanks

Cj-Tj
of a human is the same if they have cancer/cold/"insert illness here" so you only have one anatomy to learn, wheras for a Vet Med student there are many many different types. Some componants if you like might be common, ie the circulartory system is quite similar across many different patients, but things like muscle groups, species specific illnesses etc will be completly different from one patient to the next. Also, at least with a human you get some information. With animals symptoms are often just "hes gone off his food" or "he has a bump under the skin" which could be many different illness'. The vet then has to diagnose it from what information he has availible.

And the rest of it...Thanks. :smile:

I don't think you understood my post; I understood your's perfectly actually.

I meant that:

me

ie. not at any point did I disagree with your point about the more varied anatomy and the lack of information from the patient/animal. That whole post you just posted was a waste of time.

I simply went on to say that the 'availability of more information' doesn't always make things more simple; infact, it can complicate the matter a lot.
OriginofSymmetry
Fixed.

wrong

my dog killed a sheep, and we had to pay £50 to replace it. each sheep is important, and more often than not its the whole herds welfare at stake, not just an individual, plus when dealing with champion racehorses etc there can be tens of thousands of pounds at stake.

whoever said it, circulatory system was not a great example to use, cos fish only have a single circulatory system etc.
Cassie89
The point I was trying to get across is that the moral side of medicine is harder. There are loads of bioethics that come up, simply because you are dealing with humans, not animals. Yes there is a "sociology" side to vet med, but it doesn't pose issues that would have me lying awake at night.

what about when someone tells you to put down a perfectly heathy dog or something, just because they dont want it any more
Reply 39
Annaconda
what about when someone tells you to put down a perfectly heathy dog or something, just because they dont want it any more

Ok firstly I'm fairly sure that wouldn't happen, and if it did I would arrange for the dog to go to the RSPCA/a dog shelter first. Secondly, I'd find that easier to deal with than accidently killing a human, or helping decide which patient gets an organ transplant, or dealing with someone who refuses life saving medication due to religious reasons etc etc

Latest

Trending

Trending