The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
PeeWeeDan
They have probably been updated as more casualties have been recorded. I'll find better ones tomorrow. But suffice it to say that I think we are all relatively sure that the majority of the casualties were Hamas... I find that quite amazing given the population density of Gaza.

Links redone. (How's that stroke coming along?)
UniOfLife
This map?

Bahrain back to Iran, Kuwait back to Iraq, Kurdish areas in Turkey into Kurdistan, Herat and hazarajat to Iran. Shia areas in Saudi into Iraq, I'd say scrap Jordan as well, merge that into Syria and Palestine.....and eventually we are getting there. Keep Israel, the Jews got to live somewhere :smile:
Folderol
Links redone. (How's that stroke coming along?)

Thanks mate :p: I'm leaving now. See you later.
Reply 63
I have a suggestion which would put an end to this conflict. they swap places. then the first team to complain is a hippocrit and they can all be driven out. would be well funny.
Reply 64
Neville 'Facking' Bartos
Bahrain back to Iran, Kuwait back to Iraq, Kurdish areas in Turkey into Kurdistan, Herat and hazarajat to Iran. Shia areas in Saudi into Iraq, I'd say scrap Jordan as well, merge that into Syria and Palestine.....and eventually we are getting there. Keep Israel, the Jews got to live somewhere :smile:

What about Kurdish areas in Iran? :p:

And to underlined: :hmmm:
Neville 'Facking' Bartos

Good luck with that :wink:
Folderol
What about Kurdish areas in Iran? :p:

Nah, the Kurds are very happy in Iran :h: Ideally at most I'd prefer they were autonomous in an Iranian state

Folderol
And to underlined: :hmmm:

What they are occupied :p: look in your History books.

UniOfLife
Good luck with that :wink:

:top2:
Reply 67
UniOfLife
Source please?

http://domino.un.org/unispal.nsf/9a798adbf322aff38525617b006d88d7/93037e3b939746de8525610200567883!OpenDocument

"The estimate of the statistical expert, which the Committee believes to be as accurate as circumstances permit, indicates that the refugees from Israel- controlled territory amount to approximately 711,000."

My bad, I hugely understated the number.

(I got to that source through wikipedia, but it's still a UNO source)
This thread is irredeemably stupid, as others have pointed out, as well as most other Israel/Palestine threads.

But the lazy mud slinging from both sides, the exaggerated outcry from Palestinian 'supporters', the worrying nationalism from Israeli 'supporters' and the fact that anyone could even attempt to argue that what has - and will - occur will change anything, or make anyone in the region any safer - is laughable.

More people will die, more martyrs will be made - on both sides - and the hatred will continue.

No one can seriously be labeling the Israeli airstrikes as a success, nor be fully suprised or outraged that they have occurred, can they? The comparisons to Dresden I've seen, in this thread or some other, just show how wrong the Israelis have gotten this airstrike - you are comparing your military strikes to ones made in a war with standing armies, ones made to destroy industrial targets and damage enemy morale. This is not going to work on the Gaza strip.

Even if you take the most generous assessment of the loss of life that has occurred and suggest that 'only' fifteen innocents have died, you have still failed, martyrs will be made out of this, whether they were 'innocent' or not. Hamas will gain further support and rockets will continue to be fired from the Gaza strip.

The same argument applies to a Hamas militant setting up a mortar, of course, but I'm tempted to say that the Israeli's, with greater democratic checks and balances and the bigger 'stick' really should be acting more...smartly and responsibly or this cycle of violence will never end.

People point out that Hamas are retaliating by firing rockets into civilian areas, how else do you expect them to respond? I'm sure if they had F-16s and tanks they would happily go toe to toe with the Israeli military, but they don't, so they'll fight back like any outgunned, outnumbered organisation would. It's stupid, but what else does Israel expect?

All in all, a very depressing situation. I guess the rampant partisanship, nationalism and plain idiocy in this thread is just a representative microcosm of the kind of psychology and jingoism that causes :santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2: like this.
Little Joe
This thread is irredeemably stupid, as others have pointed out, as well as most other Israel/Palestine threads.

But the lazy mud slinging from both sides, the exaggerated outcry from Palestinian 'supporters', the worrying nationalism from Israeli 'supporters' and the fact that anyone could even attempt to argue that what has - and will - occur will change anything, or make anyone in the region any safer - is laughable.

More people will die, more martyrs will be made - on both sides - and the hatred will continue.

No one can seriously be labeling the Israeli airstrikes as a success, nor be fully suprised or outraged that they have occurred, can they? The comparisons to Dresden I've seen, in this thread or some other, just show how wrong the Israelis have gotten this airstrike - you are comparing your military strikes to ones made in a war with standing armies, ones made to destroy industrial targets and damage enemy morale. This is not going to work on the Gaza strip.

Even if you take the most generous assessment of the loss of life that has occurred and suggest that 'only' fifteen innocents have died, you have still failed, martyrs will be made out of this, whether they were 'innocent' or not. Hamas will gain further support and rockets will continue to be fired from the Gaza strip.

The same argument applies to a Hamas militant setting up a mortar, of course, but I'm tempted to say that the Israeli's, with greater democratic checks and balances and the bigger 'stick' really should be acting more...smartly and responsibly or this cycle of violence will never end.

People point out that Hamas are retaliating by firing rockets into civilian areas, how else do you expect them to respond? I'm sure if they had F-16s and tanks they would happily go toe to toe with the Israeli military, but they don't, so they'll fight back like any outgunned, outnumbered organisation would. It's stupid, but what else does Israel expect?

All in all, a very depressing situation. I guess the rampant partisanship, nationalism and plain idiocy in this thread is just a representative microcosm of the kind of psychology and jingoism that causes :santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2: like this.

Have rep from me
Neville 'Facking' Bartos

+1 but partition Iraqi into separate sunni and shia states.
Rite
http://domino.un.org/unispal.nsf/9a798adbf322aff38525617b006d88d7/93037e3b939746de8525610200567883!OpenDocument

"The estimate of the statistical expert, which the Committee believes to be as accurate as circumstances permit, indicates that the refugees from Israel- controlled territory amount to approximately 711,000."

My bad, I hugely understated the number.

(I got to that source through wikipedia, but it's still a UNO source)

That would be after the war of 1948...
Reply 72
Little Joe

end of, close thread.
Dirac Delta Function
+1 but partition Iraqi into separate sunni and shia states.

Indeed, you're an Iraqi is that what you would want? I dont see why Al-Anbar can't become part of a Greater Syria instead.
Reply 74
Yes, That's the answer to what your asking:biggrin:
Little Joe

I'd just like to pick up on the two points in bold.

On the first point I would ask you to consider the people involved. What is most important to them? Is it revenge or life and peace? If revenge is the most important then yes, the fighting will continue. But I imagine the hope from the Israelis is that at some point the ordinary Palestinians will realise that fighting will not get them anywhere and that what they need to do is demand that their government (ie Hamas) stops provoking Israeli attacks and instead resolves itself to the existence of Israel as a permanent neighbour and works towards peace. This is the situation currently in the West Bank where Abbas is quietly going about laying the foundations for a democratic, law-abiding and peaceful state. And in response there support from Israel.

On the second you assume that Hamas has to respond. This kind of ties in to the first point. Hamas do not need to respond to attacks. They do not need to fight Israel at all. They have no need to fire rockets at Israel. None of these things will help Hamas at all. I think that the sooner Hamas realise this the better. I'm sure this sounds like I'm putting the onus on Hamas but I really believe that they hold the key here.

In reality there is nothing Israel can do. If it stops firing and the rockets continue it will be forced to act at some point. If it takes action then it isn't helping. However, if Hamas stop firing then Israel will never need respond and the embargo can be lifted and Hamas can get on with governing Gaza and making it into a viable state. As things stand, though, Hamas are committed to fighting a war they can never win and this will do nothing but bring more death to Gaza.
Folderol
It's becaust TSR shorten links, here you go:

1. Number of innocents killed

210/225 were Hamas Security Forces:

"More than 400 people were also wounded. Most of the casualties were security forces, but Palestinian officials said at least 15 civilians were among the dead."

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081227/ap_on_re_mi_ea/ml_israel_palestinians;_ylt=AgRtWYge.Ke1ZeNPy4PukACs0NUE

Summary:
1. 15 innocents dead
2. Amazingly good accuracy
3. The amount of missiles that were fired, what did you expect? After the warnings etc

'15 innocents dead', '210/225'- you say that as if it's fact, ignoring the 'at least' in the day-old article. With the high population density, severe lack of resources, and ongoing air raids nobody can know the exact number of civilians killed. And what about casualties? Do they not matter?

I'm also amazed at the accuracy of the IAF :rolleyes:

Updated report by same authors

The airstrikes, which initially targeted Hamas security compounds, killed more than 280 Palestinians and wounded hundreds more in its first 24 hours, said Gaza health official Dr. Moaiya Hassanain. A Palestinian human rights group said among 251 dead it counted, 20 were children under 16 and nine were women.

The Palestinian Center for Human Rights said it was difficult to keep an exact count because of chaos at the hospitals, and difficulty in identifying dismembered bodies.

The civilian casualties included a 15-year-old boy who died in southern Gaza on Sunday in an attack on a greenhouse near the border. At least 644 people were wounded, Hassanain said.

These figures don't count male innocents over the age of 16.
Neville 'Facking' Bartos
Indeed, you're an Iraqi is that what you would want? I dont see why Al-Anbar can't become part of a Greater Syria instead.

Yup that's what I want. There's no sense in the Shia and Sunnis sharing borders in Iraq.
Reply 78
Klinsmannic
'15 innocents dead', '210/225'- you say that as if it's fact, ignoring the 'at least' in the day-old article. With the high population density, severe lack of resources, and ongoing air raids nobody can know the exact number of civilians killed. And what about casualties? Do they not matter?

I'm also amazed at the accuracy of the IAF :rolleyes:

Updated report by same authors

I wrote that yesterday to address the issue of majority being innocents which is what many people believe - I even believed it until I looked into it.
Reply 79
This attack will only make Hamas more angry and persistent in killing more Israelis. This will solve nothing. Thousands in Egypt, Syria, Yeman, Iran, Lebanon have protested against this. This make Israel seem heartless. YES the rockets should stop by Hamas.

Also think as it's that dick-wad Dubyas last month, Israel are making the most of It. They know Obama is not against Palestinians as dubya and co were.

I feel sorry for BOTH the Israelis and Palis that suffer and will suffer in the coming days.

Latest

Trending

Trending