The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

King's 22nd in the world ranking but 11th in the domestic ranking?

http://www.topuniversities.com/university_rankings/results/2008/overall_rankings/top_100_universities/

In the world ranking above, King's placed 22nd. (yay!)

However, why is it that on the times uk ranking 2009, it only placed 11th?

Usually, if a university has such a good international reputation, shouldn't it rank among at least the top 10 within its own country?

I know that every ranking has its own errors, but still...

the qs world ranking seemed to me like the most credible world ranking (or is there a better one?), even though i couldn't agree with lse being so low on the table.

personal: at the moment, i am having to choose between king's and warwick for law, as i got offers from both. to me, international reputation is just as important as uk reputation, since im a foreigner and intends to go back to my home country after my studies. i know that this issue of ranking should not be the most important part when making a uni decision, but along with other stuff, i think it is still quite significant.
Reply 1
I'm not really sure how much can be said on this topic, really. The College's standing is higher internationally than it is nationally, and the only reason I can think of for that would be the fact that it's in London (and a part of the University of London) :erm:
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
It seems King's is thought higher of internationally than nationally, which would be good for you. It is due to it being part of the UoL. We are fourth for law though, in the Times and Guardian rankings, and I think that the law department here is great - we have fantastic lecturers. Maybe you should base your decision on whether you would rather live in a lively, bustling city or a campus university in the middle of nowhere. They are two very different things, both with their advantages and disadvantages, but people usually have a distinct preference. Because, to be honest, if you went to King's or Warwick, your job prospects would be very good. Personally, I love being in London - it's always busy, the nightlife is fantastic, the transport system is fantastic, you can do just about anything here, but many people hate how busy it is.
Reply 3
Ascient
I'm not really sure how much can be said on this topic, really. The College's standing is higher internationally than it is nationally, and the only reason I can think of for that would be the fact that it's in London (and a part of the University of London) :erm:

I doubt this is it...UCL is also part of the UoL but we're 7th in the world....
I think the word 'Kings' does seem to resonate more with internationals..it just sounds good....ratings are odd anyway....
Reply 4
lol, they dont just assess by where the uni is, by its name, and what its under surely... because if it was, then the ranking would just be a big(ger) fat(ter) joke. i think its becase kings have good ties with global industries.
Reply 5
according to wikipedia, kings is 5th domestically....
Reply 6
Phantom_X
according to wikipedia, kings is 5th domestically....

According to QS world ranking it's 5th best in the UK and 22nd in the world, according the times rankings it's 11th best in the UK. That difference is what the thread is about...
King's College London has a great reputation because of the medical research it conducts and is strong in Humanities. As to the QS Rankings they are meaningless and widely exaggerate the importance of UK unis for obvious reasons...

e.g. That Godless institution on Gower Street ranks above M.I.T.
From what i've ascertained from 3 months of law, is that it really pays to be london if your doing a law degree, the opportunity to make connections and see the legal world in action are truely priceless things. Moreover, Kings is 4th in the UK, only behind oxbridge and lse. Compelling arguments...
Reply 9
easy_lemon
I doubt this is it...UCL is also part of the UoL but we're 7th in the world....
I think the word 'Kings' does seem to resonate more with internationals..it just sounds good....ratings are odd anyway....

Yeah i so agree with that. I told my relatives and other korean people about king's and warwick, and they all perceive king's as a really good uni without checking out enough info about it. ('king's' sounds prestigious i guess) Most people haven't even heard of warwick, even though within the uk, it's considered better than ucl at the moment. My teachers and peers think warwick is a better uni, but my family wants me to go to king's. Professor Simon Gardner at Oxford had previously stated that King's is possibly the best uni for LLB and that he would like to recruit more of king's law people. That really convinced me, as I want to go to oxford for my postgraduate studies. However, Im still not sure which one to pick.
Reply 10
jy9626
Yeah i so agree with that. I told my relatives and other korean people about king's and warwick, and they all perceive king's as a really good uni without checking out enough info about it. ('king's' sounds prestigious i guess) Most people haven't even heard of warwick, even though within the uk, it's considered better than ucl at the moment. My teachers and peers think warwick is a better uni, but my family wants me to go to king's. Professor Simon Gardner at Oxford had previously stated that King's is possibly the best uni for LLB and that he would like to recruit more of king's law people. That really convinced me, as I want to go to oxford for my postgraduate studies. However, Im still not sure which one to pick.

The funny thing is...UCL actually steals a lot of people from King's anyway :biggrin: so you have the best of both worlds; actually my property professors are both from King's -new this year.

I think, concerning law, King's might be better than Warwick purely because of location. There are a lot more visits from law firms to the London uni's (obviously because all their offices are here) and you have a much better chance to network.
Warwick is still a fantastic university but I think for law you might benefit more from King's (please bear in mind that, as a UCL student, it broke my heart to type that last sentence!)
Reply 11
easy_lemon
The funny thing is...UCL actually steals a lot of people from King's anyway :biggrin: so you have the best of both worlds; actually my property professors are both from King's -new this year.

I think, concerning law, King's might be better than Warwick purely because of location. There are a lot more visits from law firms to the London uni's (obviously because all their offices are here) and you have a much better chance to network.
Warwick is still a fantastic university but I think for law you might benefit more from King's (please bear in mind that, as a UCL student, it broke my heart to type that last sentence!)

Thanks!
I badly wanted to get into UCL initially, before going off to my oxford interview in december, so that i can still eventually get into one of those g5 unis. But unfortunately, got rejected. i should've applied to LSE instead of bristol (still haven't heard back from them though), but because of my guidance counselor who told me and my parents that they don't offer an international law programme in their law course, i couldn't (later i realized that they offer a proper LLB programme. so i know that i should've researched more, but still what a stupid and irresponsible guidance counselor!). So, I will try my best on my ibs this may and go to london!
I wouldnt really trust that list... somehow LSE is 66!! worse than, Manchester (29), which is supposedly better than Bristol (32). Those international lists are a bit dodgy. In reality, you should probably just go by reputation than these lists. They vary so much.
Reply 13
SmokeJaguar
I wouldnt really trust that list... somehow LSE is 66!! worse than, Manchester (29), which is supposedly better than Bristol (32). Those international lists are a bit dodgy. In reality, you should probably just go by reputation than these lists. They vary so much.

Then in terms of 'reputation' for Law, (considering both domestic and international) which one should i choose king's or warwick?
Do you like mushy peas/fried chicken/fish in warwick?
or the international cuisine available in London? like bibimbob,kimchi ,bulgogi
When i said King's,my relative thought I got into Cambridge
jy9626
Then in terms of 'reputation' for Law, (considering both domestic and international) which one should i choose king's or warwick?

Kings, as far as I know, is far more reputable than Warwick for Law. I have a friend (who is a damn academic genius) who chose Kings over any other uni for law. Plus it's more internationally recognised. Warwick is a VERY new uni after all.
I'd say King's for proximity to the big 5 law firms,job opportunities and the fact your actually living somewhere interesting (sorry warwick!). Plus you're studying literally directly opposite the Royal Courts of Justice.

Latest