The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
bansheeee*
youre talking about them as though they were animals or something.

No I'm not. You're being oversensitive, to be quite honest. I suspect you've gotten that impression because of "horsefeed", really.
potteralan
Here's a question why do some English still hold grudges towards Germany?

A lot of Irish died at the Somme but you don't hear Irish moaning about Germans still. Maybe we are more forgiving than English?

Im not suggesting every english person hates the germans but there is that lingering feeling

Which English people are these?

I can understand the elderly "hating" Germans. A ninety year old man who fought in Normandy or the Battle of the Bulge and saw his friends killed by a Nazi soldier would, imo, be forgiven for holding a grudge. But if it's about them beating us at football (which I think is the true root of anti-German feeling in England, not the wars. How can a teenager or twenty-something have direct experience of WWI or WWII), then yep that's real justified. :rolleyes: lol..
Why should they? I don't hate Irish republicans despite my Dad nearly being killed by an Ira bomb in Belfast. Because I can see that not all Irish people even those who want a United Ireland would have agreed with that bomb.Although if I met the bombers in a dark alleyway one night and I could get away with it...

I think bad things happened on both sides.
Reply 63
applecrombie
on the border it gets a bit iffy because that's were the Troubles were worst.

WHERE the troubles were worst.

applecrombie
I've never met anyone who cared about history 400 years old, but maybe some use it as an excuse for a bit of zenophobia, which, lets face it, can be quite fun :smile:

Xenophobia.

Zenophobia would be an aversion to the school of Mahāyāna Buddhism. :p:

I think if there is any sort of "issue" it is because the english own a third of their country. When i lived in belfast i was watching bergerac with a friend who was irish and he said "JERSEY.....THAT SHOULD BELONG TO THE FRENCH IT IS NEARER THEM THAN THE UK!!"

and i replied "well northern ireland is connected to the republic of ireland and that doesn't belong to you!"

he laughed. Padraig had a cracking sense of humour!

The irish are definitely the best set of people in a country i have ever met. I am english.

Latest

Trending

Trending