The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Lightyear
Dont rely on grades alone. My average was over 90% and I got rejected today. Have a personality, a passion for the subject and be all-rounded

What you said was very contradictive.
Adhavan
I've seen you giving out a lot of oxbridge-related advice, and i was just curious to know what actual experience you have with them? (i dont mean to antagonize you, i'm genuinely interested)

:dontknow:
Captain Biggles
No **** Sherlock. I was being sarcastic.

What does that mean?

Anyway, to OP, get the best grades you can, read about your subject, do ECs related to your degree subject and don't mess up your interview.
Reply 43
Melting Sugar.
:rolleyes: indeed.

I bet you were one of those people on TSR who posted a thread saying 'would I get into Oxbridge with 20A*'.

I was only asking because a lot of my friends that got into Cambridge have a grade average greater than 95%, and have taken 5 A levels, so I was assuming that it would be incredibly difficult to get into Oxbridge regardless of whether i get 90%.
Reply 44
im so academic
You give worse advice than me. And anyway, mathematically, 110% isn't possible.

Sarcasm, sir, you need to learn to recognise it.

I had 88% overall UMS, and 5A*s, and I got the offer. While grades are important, your reference, PS, and interview also play a massive role. Neglect them at your peril.

And yes, it is perfectly possible to have both a passion for your subject and a rounded, well developed set of interests.
Reply 45
im so academic
:dontknow:

I thought you were a good friend of Trinity college Admission Tutor :smile:
Reply 46
Arbitrage
I was only asking because a lot of my friends that got into Cambridge have a grade average greater than 95%, and have taken 5 A levels, so I was assuming that it would be incredibly difficult to get into Oxbridge regardless of whether i get 90%.

I got an offer from Cambridge with 4 A levels and an average of 88%. You do not need picture perfect grades. You need skill, and you need to impress them when they meet you.

Edit: not actually in Cambridge yet, just offered.
im so academic
What does that mean?

It means it was pretty obvious.
timotiis
Sarcasm, sir, you need to learn to recognise it.

I had 88% overall UMS, and 5A*s, and I got the offer. While grades are important, your reference, PS, and interview also play a massive role. Neglect them at your peril.

And yes, it is perfectly possible to have both a passion for your subject and a rounded, well developed set of interests.

I'm not an idiot. And elaborate on your last point please.
Reply 49
Thank you for all of your help guys :smile:.
rnshan
I thought you were a good friend of Trinity college Admission Tutor :smile:

That's true. :smile:
Captain Biggles
It means it was pretty obvious.

No it isn't.
Arbitrage
Thank you for all of your help guys :smile:.

Why thank you! :smile:
Reply 53
im so academic
What you said was very contradictive.

Not really. You can be passionate about your subject whilst still be all-rounded. Thats what makes you an exceptional candidate. If the only thing you can do is your one subject then you're clearly not that great. You have to be able to do more than one thing whilst still showing a passion and dedication for the subject you wish to study
im so academic
You give worse advice than me. And anyway, mathematically, 110% isn't possible.

Oh dear. Somebody was at the end of the queue when God was giving out a sense of humour...
Reply 55
im so academic
That's true. :smile:

You should put this in your sig :yep:
Reply 56
im so academic
I'm not an idiot. And elaborate on your last point please.

What is there to elaborate on about it? Why can you not both be passionate about a subject, and interested in other things?
Mr M
:rolleyes:

:lolwut:
im so academic
No it isn't.

I meant it was glaringly obvious that you can't get more than 100% in anything.
Morbo
Grades are probably the most important thing though. You can't not give someone an interview if they have decent GCSEs and good A's at AS, really. They'd have to have a pretty bad PS/reference. (A couple of Oxford admissions tutors I've spoken to say they rarely read the PS before the day of the interview anyway).

My friend has 10A*s and an A at GCSE and 5 A's at AS, she was rejected from cambridge (medicine) without an interview.

It caused a minor scandal at our school

Latest