The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
terpineol
Cheers, and bang on respectively.

Eugh the word respectively just reminds me of AS Statistics in year 10/11. My teacher would say it every lesson 100 times. :p:

And so back to the curve, I'll maybe post a picture for other people. :P

Spoiler

So there'd only be a few at the extremes, with the majority in the central bit. But were you suggesting it'd be marked like my IT coursework was, and to get a mark you had to get all the marks previous to that, and thus the higher marks were very hard to obtain relatively? Because I don't think they're set up like that, as they're not ranked in difficulty as far as I'm aware. :p:
its stupid, you have like 2 mins to do 5000000 comprehension questions, when i did mine, all my friends came out saying ''yeah i did like 2 of the questions then guessed them all'' thats stupid, that means someone with amazing luck yet the thickest person ever has the potential to beat someone who is smarter and doesnt guess aswell in the real thing. flawed system end of. :biggrin:
Reply 62
I think it might be fairer if it was like the Intermediate Maths Test, in that you lose marks for wrong answers, as that deters guessing. :p: But then again if you did try to get them right and got it wrong that'd be a little unfair...
Reply 63
LozengeC
Eugh the word respectively just reminds me of AS Statistics in year 10/11. My teacher would say it every lesson 100 times. :p:

And so back to the curve, I'll maybe post a picture for other people. :P

Spoiler

So there'd only be a few at the extremes, with the majority in the central bit. But were you suggesting it'd be marked like my IT coursework was, and to get a mark you had to get all the marks previous to that, and thus the higher marks were very hard to obtain relatively? Because I don't think they're set up like that, as they're not ranked in difficulty as far as I'm aware. :p:

For the graph one would have % right on the x axis, and candidates up the Y axis.

And I don't see any reason to have to get the previous marks, as I don't remember there being much variance in question difficulty.

I was thinking more needing say 5% to get 350, 30-60% for 500-600, and 95% to get 850
Reply 64
Nex Angelus
its stupid, you have like 2 mins to do 5000000 comprehension questions, when i did mine, all my friends came out saying ''yeah i did like 2 of the questions then guessed them all'' thats stupid, that means someone with amazing luck yet the thickest person ever has the potential to beat someone who is smarter and doesnt guess aswell in the real thing. flawed system end of. :biggrin:

The current speculation on the mark scheme, is that if it had such a sigmoidal curve, being able to guess that well would become statistically so unlikely that you may see it with one candidate per year, or less.
Reply 65
terpineol
For the graph one would have % right on the x axis, and candidates up the Y axis.

And I don't see any reason to have to get the previous marks, as I don't remember there being much variance in question difficulty.

I was thinking more needing say 5% to get 350, 30-60% for 500-600, and 95% to get 850

The graph was just to demonstrate the shape, it wasn't meant to be specific to the UKCAT. :p: :biggrin:

Yeah, it seems to be more accurate than that, but I get your point. We'll have to get jobs at UKCAT on the sly to see how they're processed. I got my results instantly though, so I'm not sure where that'd be. :p:
Reply 66
lol i am not sure how reliable the ukcat is,everyone who did that exam in my school had straight As and me and this person with couple of Bs did better than them so........i dont think it is a very good measure of brains,its just pot luck:smile:
Reply 67
I've started a poll, if we can get a few hundred responses hopefully we can see find a suggestion of the system.

If everyone who has taken it could kindly do the honours it would be great.
Reply 68
If it is not flawed. I, apparently, am an idiot with no logic and would make a completely incompetent doctor :biggrin:

I think it's easy to say the UKCAT is all good and is not at all flawed if you got a good score and/or have an offer, or are currently at medical school.

I think I've pursued my opinions as far as I can now, and if I haven't convinced anyone who didn't already have similar opinions to me, I never will.
Reply 69
Where's the poll sorry?
Reply 70
Kinkerz
If it is not flawed. I, apparently, am an idiot with no logic and would make a completely incompetent doctor :biggrin:

I think it's easy to say the UKCAT is all good and is not at all flawed if you got a good score and/or have an offer, or are currently at medical school.

I think I've pursued my opinions as far as I can now, and if I haven't convinced anyone who didn't already have similar opinions to me, I never will.

I agree that for me this is a purely academic point, and I hate even to suggest that anyone with less than 400 is a raw meat eater.

I set out to try and encourage debate on what seems to be a subject commonly held with contempt, in the hope of trying either to conclude that it is a waste of time, or to find the logic behind it.

Undoubtedly a bad day in the exam would do very bad things for your application, as such perhaps two or three sittings on different days would be best. This however would drastically increase the cost, which already is a common criticism.

Sorry if you have felt beaten up over not having a fantastic mark, that wasn't the aim of the debate. All the best with your application I hope things go well.
LozengeC
The graph was just to demonstrate the shape, it wasn't meant to be specific to the UKCAT. :p: :biggrin:

Yeah, it seems to be more accurate than that, but I get your point. We'll have to get jobs at UKCAT on the sly to see how they're processed. I got my results instantly though, so I'm not sure where that'd be. :p:

Cant you do half properly, then keep clicking option A or B or C etc for the rest of the time :biggrin: ...i was tempted to do that but i didnt..Or how else do people get 800..i just dont get it.
Reply 72
LozengeC
Where's the poll sorry?

I've given it its own thread, so if people want to put down their component scores it doesn't clog the debate here.
Reply 73
Those who despise the test are those who do not fare so well on it.
Reply 74
calvinuk
Those who despise the test are those who do not fare so well on it.

thats not always true:smile:
Reply 75
shriya
lol i am not sure how reliable the ukcat is,everyone who did that exam in my school had straight As and me and this person with couple of Bs did better than them so........i dont think it is a very good measure of brains,its just pot luck:smile:
Oh for ***** sake...
Reply 76
SilentGirl
Cant you do half properly, then keep clicking option A or B or C etc for the rest of the time :biggrin: ...i was tempted to do that but i didnt..Or how else do people get 800..i just dont get it.

You can, but then the chance of getting it right it reduced. I think I guessed the last 10 questions on the quantative, but I'd figured out the other ones, and only had just over a minute left so it was better to just guess. :p: The best technique would be to go through quickly at the start, pick reasonable answers for all of them, and then restart being more accurate, but I didn't think of that until after. :p:
Reply 77
Renal
Oh for ***** sake...

what?:s-smilie:
Reply 78
Renal
Oh for ***** sake...

If they have good hearing, and are somewhere between scotland and london I'd guess they can currently get the noise of heads banging on desks in stereo.
Reply 79
terpineol
I agree that for me this is a purely academic point, and I hate even to suggest that anyone with less than 400 is a raw meat eater.

I set out to try and encourage debate on what seems to be a subject commonly held with contempt, in the hope of trying either to conclude that it is a waste of time, or to find the logic behind it.

Undoubtedly a bad day in the exam would do very bad things for your application, as such perhaps two or three sittings on different days would be best. This however would drastically increase the cost, which already is a common criticism.

Sorry if you have felt beaten up over not having a fantastic mark, that wasn't the aim of the debate. All the best with your application I hope things go well.

I understand the aim of the debate and have voiced my feelings on the matter. Don't be sorry, I haven't felt beaten up at all. And thanks :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending