The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Take it I'm on my own then................oh well; three years of solitude..........
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
The_Gene_Genie
Take it I'm on my own then................oh well; three years of solitude..........

Seems so doesn't it :p: Sounds very interesting though!
Reply 3
Ive applied for marine biology, got an open day/interview on the 28th
bourney
Ive applied for marine biology, got an open day/interview on the 28th

Good luck. Hope it goes well and you get in..............its an incredible place.
Reply 5
The_Gene_Genie
Good luck. Hope it goes well and you get in..............its an incredible place.

Thank you. From looking at the website and seeing what everyone on here says about it, I'll probably put it as my firm, if i get an offer of course.
bourney
Thank you. From looking at the website and seeing what everyone on here says about it, I'll probably put it as my firm, if i get an offer of course.

Yep, the facilities certainly put Plymouth and Bangor to shame (I've accepted Plymouth as my insurance), don't know about St Andrews though.
Reply 7
The_Gene_Genie
Yep, the facilities certainly put Plymouth and Bangor to shame (I've accepted Plymouth as my insurance), don't know about St Andrews though.

Yeh, that's what I was thinking of doing, I'm looking forward to the open day, I've only hear good things about the campus's and the National Oceanography Centre looks the business.
Reply 8
The_Gene_Genie

shame 1st years dont use NOCS :p:

1st year youll spend most of your time at highfield with only a couple of pracs at NOCS, and that used to be the same for 2nd years but i think all pracs and lectures are down there now for 2nd years and onwards
Reply 9
I am applying for a masters but i have been to the NOCs and it was very impressive. We went on the ship Callista during the open day which was great. The dept as a whole (ocean/coastal studies) is better than Plymouth & Bangor which i seen also.
Shame you won't be in there much during the 1st yr.
Johnni
I am applying for a masters but i have been to the NOCs and it was very impressive. We went on the ship Callista during the open day which was great. The dept as a whole (ocean/coastal studies) is better than Plymouth & Bangor which i seen also.
Shame you won't be in there much during the 1st yr.

is it really? I've got an interview on the 11th Feb and then a visit to Plymouth on the 14th and then Bangor on the 16th...
who else has applied to SOES for Oceanography this year?
Reply 11
michelinman
is it really? I've got an interview on the 11th Feb and then a visit to Plymouth on the 14th and then Bangor on the 16th...
who else has applied to SOES for Oceanography this year?

I guess it comes down to personal prefernce but i though the dept as a whole was better than the other uni's i applied to. The only drawback is that the NOCS centre is a little out of the way in terms the rest of the uni campus but with regular buses it is not that much of a big deal.
Reply 12
To be fair, I do geophysics and I had to go down to the NOCS twice a week in the first semester for geology and it's really not that bad. You get a free bus pass in the first year so it's no problem at all, unless you have particular problems at getting up at 8:30am.

It's a good facility and soton itself is a great uni.
Yes, the NOC's amazing, i'm a first year geologist so we do the same and just went down for 3 hrs of geology twice a week. Also don't worry about not meeting many people on your course, there aren't that many SOES students compared to everything else! I think there are only about 50 geologists in the whole first year! :O
Reply 14
10 geophysicists in the 1st year ;D

Possibly the smallest course in the Uni ... apart from Ocean physics. There's only one person doing that lol.
My friend is the only one in my year doing geology and marine bio. The NOC lot are pretty small in number but high in quality! :biggrin:
Im doing it ! Oceanography with physical Geo at Southampton

Latest

Trending

Trending